Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Thibodeau

Tanning!

This is for you BORAX people out there. I was looking for a way to get soft hides or skins from what I would hunt. I found a GREAT Tanning Recipe. A friend at work has a brother who does taxidermy. Put your borax away boys! rolleyes.gif

2 lbs of salt.

250 grams of Alun.

100 milligrams of borax. devil.gif "Damn you to hell Borax" devil.gif

2 gallons of water.

-Boil untill everything is melted down.

-Wait untill it cools then add 1 tsp of Sulfuric Acid. Rubber Gloves at this point on!

-Make sure all the skins are submerged in the sollution. Put weight if needed.

-Ready in 4 days.

-hang or stretch to dry. ready in 3 or 4 days. Bend the skins to get it soft.

Your all welcome. headbang.gif

Sounds easy enough............where would one locate all the ingredients needed?

thanx,

mike

sorry for the delay , I was gone a while.

you can get the sulfuric acid in a hardware store that sell plumbing supplies. Its in an industrial strength form. I got a 1 L bottle for $6.oo. You use only one teaspoon per shot. so you good for a while.

The Alum is an astringent , topical disinfectant. In any pharmacy store.

Hope I got it all.

Oh and I clean the skins with a skinning knife right to the skin leaving nothing but skin, but if you somehow do leave some the sulfuric acid will take care of that. But its not hard to skin all the meat off. Use a swooping motion with your knife.

P.S. It takes only 7 Days to tan and have a leather grade hide that does no harm to the fur. clapping.gif

Yes you have to rince it when you take it out of the solution. Plunge rince with clean water then plunge rince again with new clean water. Hang to dry.

Sign in to follow this