Fly Tying
flyfisher117

what size thread is what?

how do you know what theread is for what flys...i was started tying flys wth thread that was rated in denier..so 70 denier for drys...140 denier for bigger nypmhs and other stuff and 280 or 340 denier for like bass bugs...poppers and some saltwater...so my question is what is like 3/0 thread for? and 8/0 or 6/0?if im thinking rite it would go smalles to biggest as follows 8/0, 6/0, 3/0 but idk...can anyone help me

Aught sizing is not standard across manufacturers, so Uni 6/0 may not be the same size as Gudebrod. Denier is an industry standard. As for Uni thread I use 8/0 for trout flies, dries and nymphs. I use 6/0 for light hair work, say a muddler head. I use 3/0 occasionally for Spinning hair bass bugs. I use 12/0, 14/0 and 16/0 for small dries below 24s. So in a nut shell, but large the aught number the finer i.e. smaller diameter it is.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Futzer.

Aught sizing is not standard across manufacturers, so Uni 6/0 may not be the same size as Gudebrod. Denier is an industry standard. As for Uni thread I use 8/0 for trout flies, dries and nymphs. I use 6/0 for light hair work, say a muddler head. I use 3/0 occasionally for Spinning hair bass bugs. I use 12/0, 14/0 and 16/0 for small dries below 24s. So in a nut shell, but large the aught number the finer i.e. smaller diameter it is.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Futzer.

:help: So basically in Denier rating, the smaller the number the smaller the thread, and in aught rating just the opposite, 16/0 smallest and 3/0 largest?

:unsure:

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Futzer.

thank you

Hi flyfisher117,

I've been buying large quantities of Danville thread for about 30 years. Several years ago they changed their thread ratings as follows:

Old designation New designation

6/0 70 denier

3/0 140 denier

Size A, single strand, etc 210 denier

Gretchen and I use Danville (waxed AND unwaxed) for all of our tying and it has served us well over the years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi flyfisher117,

I've been buying large quantities of Danville thread for about 30 years. Several years ago they changed their thread ratings as follows:

Old designation New designation

6/0 70 denier

3/0 140 denier

Size A, single strand, etc 210 denier

Gretchen and I use Danville (waxed AND unwaxed) for all of our tying and it has served us well over the years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

so what is tere 8/0 rated or do they have any 8/0..and are you the Al Beatty out of boise that deals with danica danvises?

i live just outside of boise

so what is tere 8/0 rated or do they have any 8/0..and are you the Al Beatty out of boise that deals with danica danvises?

i live just outside of boise

Hi flyfisher117,

The ?/0 designation tends to be different from one manufacturer to the other. I have some 8/0 thread from one manufacturer that is bigger than 6/0 from another. The denier designation is an attempt by some people in the industry to provide "common sizes." Unfortuneately they have been no more successful than the hook manufacturers were a few years ago when they tried to "standardize" hook sizes (sometime compare a #20 TMC with a Mustad 94840).

Gretchen and I are in Boise.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com