Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

Went nuts and ordered an HMH Tube spinner vise

Can't seem to edit the post. Actually I didn't order it, I went and bought it. I got the pedestal base and palm wheel version. I've been tying more tubes lately for my streamer patterns and I really like how versatile it is. Was using the HMH beginner adapter tool which works pretty well but got tired of it always being off center on my old Indian made vise.

Very cool. I tied on one at a shop once and it was very nice, much better than those adapter setups (which I have). You'll have to show us some of your tubes once you get some tieing done on it.

I know, I'm terrible about posting fly photos since I dumped the hosting site I was using that auto sized for web viewing.

Anyway, don't know if I will tie any better with this but I'll enjoy it more because I like spinning a fly to lay down floss or spiral tinsel etc. I tied up a batch of Gray Ghosts in Aug on the adapter for our Sept trip to Maine and they fished really well.

However, something worth noting is HMH has two new rigs out. One is a round centered adapter with a collette you insert the rods into much like the one on the front of the vise I bought, but mounts in the jaws of a traditional vise like the old adapter does. The second is a replacement jaw set that goes on an HMH traditional vise with removable jaws, like the Spartan for instance. I considered those but I've pretty much determined that most all my streamer patterns will be tied on tubes so splurged with the dedicated vise. !

Nice setup.

I recently tied some tubes and I am still learning.

Do you tie with just a tube and a junction tube at the rear; or are you using other tubing hardware?

Thanks fshng2 ! It's pretty smooth and I like the tapered pins.

I use the junction tube right now. I also have some Polytube, in the medium and large sizes the hook will go right into the tube. But I have the small and micro. I picked up some ProTube junction pieces for those. For hardware I mostly decide if I need weight at the water, if so I slip a bead head onto the tippet in front of the fly. I do have cones and the beads in 3/32 will fit the micro tube. I'll tie some cone heads and bead heads but have not as yet. incidentally if you decide to try a bead on the leader it's best to line the bead with a piece of tube, the brass can chaff after a while.

I'm actually new to tubes this year, I started last spring and it's really grabbed me for it's versatility. In Maine I had salmon that kept slashing at my Gray Ghosts up in the surface or near it. So I did that bead head trick with a bead ahead of the fly. It got the streamer down a little deeper and wham, caught a nice land locked with a hook jaw on it and some more average fish as well. I really like that the fly slides up the leader with a fish on, then you have the fish hooked with a short shanked hook. I tie my Gray Ghosts fairly long for that part of the river, so they were all tube body with a 2x short hook at the rear in #6. Next up are herring bucktails or synthetics for fall fishing here on the Cape. The baby herring are ganged up all around shore in the big pond I trout fish in here in the fall.

I would love to see some of your work also.

Mike

In due time Mike, I'm really slacking in the photo department . I'll try to get some photos up soon, I know we all like photos of peoples work around here, myself included !