Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

12' 5/6wt fiberglass spey

EbAgtd.jpg
LSaYZU.jpg
8IZuPT.jpg
Cm6wnE.jpg

Just finished this one up this morning. 12ft 5/6wt fiberglass spey rod with custom grips and aluminum seat. Wraps are medium brown with black trim. The brown goes a nice looking rust orange color on the melon color glass blank.

EbAgtd.jpg

LSaYZU.jpg

8IZuPT.jpg

Cm6wnE.jpg

Just finished this one up this morning. 12ft 5/6wt fiberglass spey rod with custom grips and aluminum seat. Wraps are medium brown with black trim. The brown goes a nice looking rust orange color on the melon color glass blank.

I'll just say it's different and leave it at that.. As always the built quality is great.

That will make a neat combo steelhead/smallie rod for the big Au Sable river sections you fish. It will bend into the corks on a decent fish and cast long and effortlessly all day.

OPST has just come out with an integrated running line Commando head. One in 225-250 grs should make that rod hum once you slow down the casting stroke and let the rod deliver the great feel that only fiberglass and cane gives you.

Who makes the blank? Is it E Glass or S Glass? And does it come in different colors?

Gad to see this new offering.

Rocco

This one is for a customer. It's An Anglers Roost blank. Comes in this color and I believe a white glass as well.

Funny you mention OPST. I finally broke down and bought an OPST 35# running line for my own 5/6wt spey just a couple days ago. Will be trying it out on vacation. I can tell it is gonna shoot a mile but I dunno how I am gonna like the real thin dia in my line hand though, well see.

This one is for a customer. It's An Anglers Roost blank. Comes in this color and I believe a white glass as well.

Funny you mention OPST. I finally broke down and bought an OPST 35# running line for my own 5/6wt spey just a couple days ago. Will be trying it out on vacation. I can tell it is gonna shoot a mile but I dunno how I am gonna like the real thin dia in my line hand though, well see.

I find OPST running line to handle ok in the hand and doesn't spiral up in the cold like regular mono can, it doesn't seem like it should be comfortable though but has a kind of soft feel to it. I put a 250gr head on my switch rod with their laser line and it shoots like crazy but it really wants something lighter. I have to get a foot or 18" or so into the guides for it to shoot best. If the commando head is all out of the guides the rod over loads ( Anglers Roost 11ft IM6 4/5 switch rod, I should have bought OPST 225 I think, I'm using 95 gr sink T8 MOW head on it and short sinking leader, so might be able to mess with that combo first).. I put out about 65 ft single handed with it though, when I get my forward cast right that is. It's like flicking a paint brush at the end of the forward stroke and the line takes off.. For this season I think it will work as is in the pool I have in mind for it, and it's already proven itself in a tough spot in a pond I fish at ..

Now I want to build a 3-4, not sure if full spey or another switch !

That's a sweet looking rod but then I'm a flash whore ! :-) I'd like to find a graphite this color or a yellow color . Yow !!

What swing weight does this have being glass? Imagine it'll load up with heads very well.

Aaauuugh !!!

It's all wrong !!! Wrong colors, wrong type of rod !!! Wrong material blank !!!

Why, then, do I like it SO much ???

Makes no sense, but something about that rod is truly "attractive".

What swing weight does this have being glass? Imagine it'll load up with heads very well.

Colin I have not fished a glass spey built on this blank yet myself so I'm not sure of the grain window this one will take, the owner will have to play around with some heads and see what it ends up liking. I will tell you this though....just slowly going through the motion of a skagit cast with it with no line on the rod, you can feel it flex right down into the grip! lol. So it's gonna load with a pretty light head and unroll really slow I believe. Should be a pretty fun rod for him I'm thinking.

Would make a great low water rod, just letting the line carry out and land. Be interesting to hear what works well with it.

With the lighter trout spey rods --5 wt and below -- the shorter -- 5' and 7' -- tips tend to work better in term so of smoothly loading the rod.

wunbe

I couldnt own one like this. Id be fishing and hungry. It looks like candy!

Nice rod, Steve.