Fly Tying

Does anyone know of a tool or commericaly available jig template that can be used to bend hooks precisely and consistently? I often have a need to bend various hooks for certain flies, especially stainless steel hooks for spoon flies. I use pliers, but can't get a precise and consistent bend. I'm looking for some kind of a tool or jig set up that I could buy to achieve a more reliable way to accomplish a variety of hook bends. Any help/advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you know the measure it would be a case of making your own from nails in a board. Shouldn't be too hard once you know the measure you want

What Piker said, here is an example of how it might work; https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tools+for+Snaring/Bob+Custer's+Trapper's+Bender

click the 'alternate images' to see how bends are made

other benders; https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-forming-tools/

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Table-Top-Wire-Benders-Formers-C140.aspx

I think Jann's Netcraft used to sell a 'universal' jig to bend wire for lure making - not sure if it can be set short enough for a single hook.

I bend lots of metal things. Piker20 has the answer, unless you want some crazy contraption you don't need. Of course I'm not sure what size of hook you want to bend but if you can bend it with pliers you can bend it precisely and repeatedly with a board and a couple nails.

Get a piece of 3/4" lumber. Say a 3" by 4" piece. Nail two nails close together in the 3/4" edge. Clamp board in a bench vise. Mark an index line on the hook shank where you want the bend, put it between the nails. One nail keeps the metal from turning as you bend the metal around the other nail. Just line your mark up to the nail your using to actually bend the hook. Draw an index line on the 3/4" edge so you know when to stop bending. Simple, precise and repeatable.

If you need some mechanical advantage then you will need to add a handle or use the equivalent to a cheater bar over the hook shank. I think you will be able to bend most hooks with nothing more then your thumb though.

An alternative to making a jig is just to keep bending - but do it to a standard... I make a point of not only saving master patterns - but also master hooks (with the exact bend I'm wanting....). That's how I was able to produce this particular pattern over and over again for fly shops - the Big Eye Bendback...

T0lnPXH.jpg

H1oZMwC.jpg

IeZQywg.jpg

I learned the hard way never to try to bend super premium hooks as well - the tempering makes the ones I tried too brittle.... All I ever used was the Mustad 34007 or 340011

post-768-0-15656000-1548324333_thumb.jpg

i recently watched a fly tying video and the tyer bent the hook shank with a simple pair of round nosed pliers

Those pliers might work just fine with light freshwater hooks - I find I need two pairs of pliers working against each other to do the bends I need...

Thanks for ALL your great replies. My hook of preference is the Mustad 34011, but Mustad has changed the style of this hook (as well as the model number) and they now coat it with "Duratin." I have a bunch of them on order to see how they work for bending. I'm going to give the nail in the board technique a try, but I'm not a woodworker and driving a nail in straight will be a challenge :-). I was hoping there was some kind of heavy "peg board" set-up made out of metal that was available, but I've tried everywhere (Barlows, Janns', etc.) -- nothing but blank stares. I can't tell you how encouraging it is for me to find a forum like this where people actually understand what and why I need such a contraption!!!! Thanks again.

Remember, when you bend your hook you will need to go beyond your desired shape because it will spring back.

All metals have memory and want come back to it's original shape. Some more than others.

oArETPG.jpg

better not be in the same room when this thing decides to loose its memory and spring back to a straight shank hook :)

oArETPG.jpg

better not be in the same room when this thing decides to loose its memory and spring back to a straight shank hook smile.png

Fortunately, some metals get Alzheimer's and can't remember their original shape !!!

put 2 nails in a vise and bend away

81KxDb6HWKL._SX466_.jpg

Will work sometimes in light and or low radius bends but basically just securing two nails in a vise is less then optimum. With only two points of contact the nails will shift in the direction where there is no contact regardless how tight you crank it down. Nails hammered into a block of wood has 360 degree support and won't budge. Will a vise work for hooks? Maybe probably most times. but everybody has a block of wood laying around making it senseless to just use the vise. You can also very easily hammer a third nail in to put the hook bend around for perfect repeatable bends.