Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Perfection Loop

The Perfection Loop is an amazing knot for making loops on monofilament fishing line or nylon leader. It is strong, and makes a beautiful knot! Its small, and goes through guides pretty easily. It is a must have in the fisherman's arsenal of tricks.

I use this the most to make loops in leader that I need to connect to a loop in a fishing line. The loop to loop connection is easy, and strong. I have also heard that people use this knot for tying on flies. However I have other knots I find better for this.
Not only is this knot strong and effective, its also easy to tie. Once you get the hang of it, you can tie it in a few seconds. Being quick to tie and effective really make this an excellent knot.

I've never understood how someone would use this knot to "tie on a fly". I use it all the time for my fly line/leader/tippet (now that I am using a tippet), but not for the fly.

Either the loop would have to be large enough to pass over the fly, AND the eye of the hook be large enough for two strands of tippet ... or there's another way to tie the knot so that the hook is actually free swinging on the loop. (tie the knot without pulling loops through loops.

I use this knot and it not only works, but it's easy to tie.

HOWEVER, I tried to teach it to my left-handed buddy. It didn't work out, so the instructions are for RH.

I much prefer the improved Homer Rhode loop knot and use it daily, multiple times, on almost every rig on my skiff (whether fly or conventional). for bite tippets ranging from 20lb up to 100lb....

Bob and fisherboy. I am not starting an argument ... just showing why I don't like and don't use either of those knots. (Homer Rhode or non-slip)

I'm sure those knots work for you guys, or you wouldn't be using them. I just keep thinking of the overhand knot, which is the most common "air knot" and the reason I lose an indeterminate number of flies and fish.

I've tested several loop knots against each other over the years and the perfection is easily the weakest loop knot I've tried. It makes a nice straight loop and is damned easy to tie, but I never use it except for making loops in the heavy butt end of trout leaders.

I haven't been using the perfection loop for very long ... maybe a year or two ... but the only time I KNOW it was the knot that failed, I also know I had the lines twisted as I pulled it tight.

Again, I am not really promoting the perfection loop ... it's just that it's been ... "bery bery gud to me!"

Mike, yes that know weakens the line when tied in a single straight piece where it compresses down on itself in both the knots Captain Bob and I posted, there are other lines in the "loop" of the overhand knot. The knot has something to tighten down on and doesn't compress down on itself which is what causes a failure in a leader/tippet, known as "wind knots". Not trying to argue but that's my understanding of it.

Yep, Fisherboy ... I know that argument for those knots, the extra lines through the knot keep it from tightening down on "itself". And I have no facts to doubt them. mellow.png

But still ... it's an overhand knot! ohmy.png I just don't trust overhand knots! blink.png

the perfection knot is the same knot used on snelled hook manufacturers. (eagle claw) for bait fishing, its held up for years. I wouldn't use it for big fish or salt but for trout, bass, etc. its fine. I like the triple surgeons loop knot for my bigger fish. you just adjust the size before tightening it