Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zOnk

ASL ISO Nymph

"All Season Long" Isonychia Nymph

I've long enjoyed the consistency of fishing a large prince nymph throughout the season. Here in the upper midwest I've theorized that the fish are taking it as an Isonychia because fish will take the fly on the swing or when moving (as a swimming nymph) and the biot wing resembles the stripe on the nymph more than a "wing" when viewed at various angles.

Isonychia, being multi-brood flies, can hatch multiple times in a season and help make the fly a constant fish catcher.

So why fix something that isn't seemingly broke? Well, for starters the Prince Nymph is a pain to tie quickly if you are not pre-glueing biots. Second, if the fish are taking the fly as an Iso, would a closer imitation make a good fly a great fly.

All that said, I created a faster tying version of the herl bodied Prince that fished with every bit of the same success and perhaps even better (should the water you fish have Isonychia).

Pattern:

Hook: TMC 5263 #12 2x heavy, 3x long

Thread: Black

Tail: Brown Goose Biots or Brown Hackle Fibers (fish don't seem to care)

Body Stripe: Brown Goose Biot

Body: Peacock Herl

Rib: Copper or Chartreuse wire (fish like both)

Hackle: Brown/Ginger Hen Saddle or Neck

Head: Copper Bead.

Tie in body stripe biot after tail, wrap body with herl, pull biot over back and secure with wrapped wire.

post-47768-0-51600400-1361934560_thumb.jpg