Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
boba

Open loop dubbing

Being lazy, I like to have my dubbing loop held open for me while applying the dubbing to the thread. It is especially useful if you are making your dubbing twists with fine wire rather than thread, and you can use it to twist enough dubbing at one time to make four or five flies. I saw A. K. Best using a much prettier, commercial version at a fly show and, having already blown my tying budget that year, decided to try to copy it on the cheap. It required only a few materials:

1) A cork from a wine bottle.

2) CA glue or epoxy.

3) A coat hanger piece about 5” long or stiff wire. A large paper clip will work in a pinch.

4) Lead wire.

Bend about 1/2 of the coat hanger wire into a rounded “M” shape and angle the part of the wire just below the “M” away from the center. The middle of the “M” should be centered over the remaining straight part and is where you will place your thread loop. If it isn’t centered, the tool won’t spin properly.

Starting at the widest end of the cork, wrap the lead wire about to the midpoint of the cork. I used .025 lead wire and found I needed a second layer of wire wound back to the starting point in order to provide enough weight for the tool to maintain spin.

Using the heated tip of a dubbing needle, burn a lengthwise hole all the way through the center of the cork. Insert the straight end of the wire all the way through the cork so a small piece is poking out. Bend that piece into a “U” and pull the wire back so the end of the wire is embedded in the cork to lock it in place.

Coat the bottom of the tool and the lead wraps with glue and let dry.

DubbingLoopSpinner.doc

A large enough Button.

A section of Dowel.

Two tiny!!! Cup Hooks.

A brad or screw.

Your choice of permanent Glue. Better to use Gorilla Glue or Epoxy.

Drill and bit.

Drill through the center of the button. Drill into the dowel end. Insert brad or screw through hole in button. Touch cement to dowel hole, brad or screw and connect; let set.

Cement tiny cup hooks into two opposite holes in button, either facing each other or opposite (hook opens out.)

QUOTE (boba @ Sep 29 2004, 08:36 PM)
Mr. Fixx. You dare improve on Mr. Best? wink.gif

(spooky parallels) I've been mistaken for him by the unknowing as well as asked to 'autograph my (his) book'; I noodled my twister out after making rope-winders for kids to use for Scouting orienteering projects and from "things found around the house", all after using my fingers, bent floral wire, etc.

I could use one of that bent wire design just as easily, I suppose.

get yourself a,

small brass drawer knob

cup hook

and epoxy the point in bolt hole of knob .

its a weighted dubbing twister. rockon.gif

jim <*}}}}}}><

Sign in to follow this