Fly Tying
troutguy

THUNDERCREEK STREAMERS

Stolen idea from Flytire. I have been observing your great tying in July flies from the vise, please join.

DUE DATE SEPTEMBER 15th

I love Thundercreek streamers, always have. I tie them sparse on Mustad or Eagle Claw Abereen long shank cricket hooks. Trout love them. I have chatted with plenty of fishermen on the Davidson, The Tuck, Montana and all over the Catskills and rarely see a TC streamer. So you will baffle the fish in your area for a while.

This streamer besides being under utilized, it can be tied from a size 12 to a 2 and draw fish from your favorite run or pool.

Only Thundercreek streamers. A common flaw in tying this is using a hook that is too short. Fishermen complain about the pattern produces short strikes. Poorly tied flies produce short strikes. The other is using too much material.

This is a pretty good representation of the original style.

Twelve tiers.

1. Troutguy - Blacknose dace - simple old school recipe brown deer, black bear and white deer hair, tinsel body with hand painted eyes

2 Vicrider RECEIVED

3 Stabgnid RECEIVED

4 jmckaughan RECEIVED

5 fishinorhuntin RECEIVED

6 ADD147 RECEIVED

7 PJ2 NO FLIES YET

8 Eastern Fly RECEIVED

9 PHG RECEIVED

10 Elusive Fishing RECEIVED

Sure...we did a similar mini-streamer swap on another board and couple did Thundercreek minnows. I'll even stick my neck out and out him that flytire did a beautiful little mini-streamer for us in that but I ran a tight ship on that one and things were in on time and out on time. That needs to happen more here.

Anyway, I'm in.

Nothing locked in yet. Even if everyone copied one of yours or flytires there's going to be enough difference to sort them out. Your mention of longer shank makes sense.

I was in a Thundercreek swap a few years ago and someone tied Emerald Shiner TC's. Please join and tie those again?

I have some perfect bucktail and angel hair for that pattern, just no hooks or time for swaps just now.

You'll have a great selection of bait fish from this though.

troutguy, when you drink that black beer in the middle of your fly tying doesn't that effect your tying? And when you say black beer are you referring to Leininkugels Bach or Dark Forest or one of the Country Dark Lagers?

Vicrider, funny, I need to proof read better. I meant black bear. I am not even familiar with those brands, I haven't drank a beer in over twenty-five years. I can only blame mistakes on stupidity these days.

Piker I wished you would join. I am fussy about hooks, but the best trout sized for small TC's are to be had in my local convenience store. The Eagle Claw Aberdeens. People use them for fishing crickets for brim or bream. Very long shank, thin wire straight eye with a perfect bend.

troutguy,

I am in. I didn't have the right hooks, but think I will run down and get some of those Eagle Claws you mentioned. That way I can tie a bunch for my son and I, too! Most of the flies (streamers, poppers and the like) I tie are on the eagle claw hooks you buy at the big box stores and have never had an issue with them.