Fly Tying

The Unbeatable Stonefly

The Stonefly. An ancient insect that dates back 300 million years. Ugly...almost menacing in appearance....but to a fish, it's filet mignon. Fly anglers all over the owrld strive to create more and more realistic stonefly patterns. And with good reason: fish love them!! All species of fish; from minnows to salmon, dine on these high protein little buggers whenever they can. But let's take a closer look at the stonefly and see if we can't grasp a better understanding of this little critter.

Stoneflies are abundant in waters all over the world. There are 1,600 hundred species worldwide and they are found in quiet waters to raging torrents. They are simplistic and effecient predators feeding on other nymphs, algae, ane even small fish and minows when the opportunity arises. Stoneflies are also rather easy to indentify. They 2 pairs of wings anbd the broader hind wings fold flat and fanlike underneath the fore wings and almost cover the entire length of the bug. As adults, they have obvious mouth oparts, but they are useless as the adults do not feed....this is kind of a broad statement as it is beleived that a few species may in fact hunt and predate as adults....but most species do not. Stoneflies are poor fliers and seem awkward and clumsy in flight, flying about in short flutters and dives. I disturbed streamside, they will more likely try to run for shelter than to fly away.

As nymphs, they resemble the mayfly naiads, but can be distinquished by thier longer antennae and thier tails. Stoneflies have only 2 tail appendages, whereas the mayfly will have three ( This important to remember when at the bench). They remain in nymph form for 2-4 years before undergoing a simple metamorphosis. Adults may live just a few days or a several weeks, depending on the species. It's important to note that streams that have a lack of stoneflies where they otherwise should be thriving , is usually a good indication of insuffecient oxygen and pollution.

Okay, we know what they are and what they look like....now let's discuss the fun part....imitating these bad boys!!

With nymph patterns, it's really simple. Check your favorite flows and see what the naiads look like. Pay paticuliar attention to the mottling, the colors, and the profile of the bug. This is what you want to try to present to the fish. Now, grnated, you do not have to tie realistic patterns to catch great fish...the realistic patterns look great in your box or on the stream but a rough representation of the same is just as effective. Also pay attntion to the size of the naturals. Try to match this as closely as possible....especially if the naiads are overabundant . Fish will gorge of them until they are no longer available and matching your fly to the size will be more productive. Some of my favorite nymph patterns are the Kauffman Giant Stone, Biot tailed Hare's Ear, Black Stone, Tellicos, Prince Nymphs, and the Yellow Stone.

As the nymphs hatch into adults, fish will rise and take them as they lay thier eggs in the water. Again, pay attention to the size, shape, and colors of the naturals. Dry fly action for browns, bows, and bass can be outstanding when a hatch is on. Favorite adult patterns include Sofa Pillows, Stimulators, Rogue Salmonfly (foam), and the Club Sandwich Stone.

Even if you don't fish stone patterns, don't overlook them. Fish feed on these bugs with great gusto and there's a great chance that they are living just below the surface in your favorite stream. On a very small stream in my hometown, I have taken gills, trout, smallies, and chubs will predictable regularity using one nymph and one adult pattern. Well worth the consideration!

check out the link for pics and more info!!

http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Plecoptera&contgroup=Neoptera

Iwould like to say what a great post And they say you boys from the hills don't know @@@@.But the knoweledge that you distribut through the site is great.

The fly fishing and tying to me use to be just a rod real and go but through this site it has become more than a hobby but a passion to learn all i can.I don't think my knoweledge of our sport would as strong if it wasn't for a site like this and all the offerings from the people here.

tt

hilla are waht ants live in...i'm from the mountains!

occasionally I even surprise myself with just how much I know....what is still surprising is how much I have yet to learn!!