Fly Tying
duckydoty

realistic legs?

Looking for some different ideas and technics for realistic looking legs. Do any of you have some tips, ideas, or suggestions? Does anyone know of any tutorials on anywhere?

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone tried anything real wild? Last night I got out the wood burning pen and 50# mono. I think with a little practice something could come of that

Duckydoty

Thanks Bentflyrod,

I got that one already and I like it alot.

Having trouble getting the legs to position on the hook the way I want them, and still keep everything proportional.

Duckydoty

To help with sizing your legs properly. to get a good proportion/ Make yourself a little template. Depending on the over all size of the bug you are tying, cut a piece a stiff paper into a V shape. Place the paper template on top, and looking down

( ie from above the fly) you can better judge the size of the legs front to back)

Good luck, Vince

Thanks Vince. I'm getting a little better. Trying to go real small, in the 16- 20 range. A little more practice is what its going to take I think.

Duckydoty

if you are going 16-20 range, try using a Golden Pheasant Tail feather for the legs.....

stroke a few fibers to a 90 angle from the quill....grap the fibers close to the quill with one hand, hold the quill with the other, and "snap" the fibers off the quill, moving both your hands in oppose direction If you do it right you end up with a little foot.....if not you end up with a piggy tail...takes a little practice. Tie in to length you wish...little foot should point forward.

There is a fancy name for this , but I can not remember.

Great tips Vince, thank you. I will make some paper templates, what a great idea. I watched a DVD a couple days ago that showed how to pull the Golden Pheasant Tail feather off at a right angle to form the little legs with tapered feet. I really like learning all these new techniques. Thanks for sharing.

Graham