Fly Tying

So I've been trying for a long time, (today makes seven months with gf so about 5 months now) to hook up with a grass carp in my gfs pond. There are three in there and they are huge.

I've tried every carp and non carp fly I have and every presentation possible, like 15 ft leaders as the waters very clear, everything! A few looks but no takes. Today I cracked the code.

The pond is stocked with LMB and channel cats. We often throw dog food in and feed the catfish. Today I noticed the carp eating the dog food like crazy. So I tied in some foam dog food flies I had tied for cats and bam almost instant hook up. Put one helluva Bend in my new 7wt, and got into a downed willow and was gone. After about an hour of frustrating "almost takes" where they come up and gulp but spit the fly out instantly, it happened again. Same outcome. They both got in the willow tree and got off. Two of the tree carp bit and now I feel like my goal of catching one is so so so reachable I can reach out and touch it.

I got a video of the first fight. I'll see if I can get some stills to post.

People have been tying food pellet flies for stocked trout since ... well ... there has been stocked trout!

You've "matched the hatch" with your dog food fly.

Good job !!!

IMG_3001.PNG

Moment of hookup. All hell broke loose lol

IMG_3002.PNG

IMG_3003.PNG

IMG_3004.PNG

Annnnnddddd... it's gone. Lol.

Nice. They're a blast. Caught a couple last fall on acorns. Just landed my first on a more traditional fly...a black leech with a orange mop tail attractor.

Nice. They're a blast. Caught a couple last fall on acorns. Just landed my first on a more traditional fly...a black leech with a orange mop tail attractor.

I'd be interested in seeing both of those patterns if you wouldn't mind

Here it is wet after lnding the fish.

IMG_0228_zpsg1ut2fna.jpg

This is what it looked like fresh off the vise.

F7344296-A4DB-40CA-B537-3FFCF2619519_zps

I don't have any pictures of the acorn but it was just tan chenille wrapped over some lead to sink like an acorn hitting the water. They hit it as soon as it hit under a big oak tree.

try using just an olive ugly as hell piece of marabou wrapped around a small hook. Works here in the Miami waters

I did it. I landed a 30 plus pounder with the dog food fly. Fought me for over 15 min. I'll post up some pics later!

I did it. I landed a 30 plus pounder with the dog food fly. Fought me for over 15 min. I'll post up some pics later!

Hurry up !!!

I am truly looking forward to seeing the pictures !!!