Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyty1

New HMH TRV rotary vise?

Back in the late winter / early spring there was a buzz about HMH introducing a true rotary vise. As I recall, they were anticipating an introduction in the spring. Has anyone heard about this highly anticipated product?

Back in the late winter / early spring there was a buzz about HMH introducing a true rotary vise. As I recall, they were anticipating an introduction in the spring. Has anyone heard about this highly anticipated product?

Hi, I heard another vise called the predator vise has a similar jaw style and is trying to patent the design so HMH is being very cautious and had a attorney looking into it. This was several months ago so I don't know what exactly is going on today. It's a little ridiculous since that style has been around since 1989 with the LAW vise. Please post if you hear anything.

17076348_257698404675113_341556963258767

66b9984f896b1f33e8f5122c63f92ed4--fly-ty

similarities???

FlyTire, What is the name of this vise and who makes it?

I think Takahashi was pushing this vise last year at the West TU Fly Tying Clinic

and the Fly Fishing Show.

Regards,

Kimo

top one is a proyotype of the hmh

lower one is a predator vise

https://www.forceflyfishinginc.com/predatorflytyingvise

Mahalo!

The jaws from the predator look like AK's vise jaws.

Tak got the Predator vise as compensation for promoting it.

What do you think of the HMH prototype?

I've heard the major benefits of the HMH/LAW vise

are hook access and a resting place for the palm of your left hand

if you tie as a right -hander?

Kimo

the hmh looks to be well constructed as all hmh vises are

the tightening wheel may cause a problem but until its out on the fly shop shelves to try out who knows. ive never heard a complaint on the LAW vise tightening wheel.

the other item of concern for me is having to rotate the vise with that knurled knob. my renzette has a pin coming off of the knob that i use to rotate the vise (when i actually rotate my vise)

ill be looking at one for sure when they are available

Ordered mine this morning, I’m excited to be seeing it hopefully by the end of next week. I’ll post a short review. I would love a LAW, but not at the silly prices they currently sell for. I can’t imagine why Lawrence Waldren has licensed the design to someone. I really like the idea of the HMH large brass wheel. I ordered the Spartan, the exhibition model is nice but not worth the extra bucks for me.

Bazzer

Bazzer,

I don’t believe Lawrence licensed the design, he never patented it in the first place so now other companies are taking advantage of that ie the pro vice, HMH TRV & the jaws of the predator vise.

I’m a vise nut so I bought one as well. I’m going to do a video review because I have a LAW and will do a comparison. I like how you can adjust so you are always in the center line of the hook, that’s something you can’t do with th LAW. Also, when I saw the TRV in person at the Somerset show, Jon (owner of HMH) told me their is a hole on that big brass wheel to screw in a lever knob if someone wants too. If you look carefully at the picture in the previous post from flytire you can see it. The jaws on the TRV are what concerns me the most as they are cast and not CNC and hand finished like the LAW. Also Lawrence put two hook groves in LAW for bigger hook sizes and that makes for very light pressure to hold hooks without moving. I heard the TRV has three which was interesting, the original prototype had none, I’m glad HMH changed it. Finally, I’m interested in the knob that tightens the jaws. The star wheel on that LAW is extremely smooth and was designed to operate with just your thumb. I hope the TRV is smooth as well and you can operate one handed. For anyone interested but wants to play with the vise first, Jon told me today they will be at the Edison show in January and will have some for sale.

Mike