Fly Tying
Capt Bob LeMay

New hook for bendback patterns from Umpqua...

Just learned that Umpqua Feather Merchants has a new hook out now for those of us that like to do the occasional bendback pattern.... For years I wouldn't use any factory hooks that were pre-bent since they never seemed to get the bend right. I much preferred to bend my own hooks with Mustad #34007 hooks using two pairs of pliers and free-handing each hook to get it right. These new ones have the bend just right from what I can see... Here's the entire thread so you can see a few samples of just what's possible using these hooks to create flies that are designed to be weedless because the hook rides point up by design... For those not aware - bendback patterns have one drawback - and that is you'll never hook a tarpon with one... Years ago Chico Fernandez in his first article on bendback patterns very carefully pointed that out....

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/274595/bendback-hooks#latest

As you can see the guy who started this thread is pretty skilled...

Cool! I have some discontinued Owner hooks that have a similar shape that I use for bendbacks. I bought a bunch of them when they stopped making them, but once I run out, I'll have to find another hook. This might be what I'll need to use. Thanks for the information! smile.png

Just learned that Umpqua Feather Merchants has a new hook out now for those of us that like to do the occasional bendback pattern.... For years I wouldn't use any factory hooks that were pre-bent since they never seemed to get the bend right. I much preferred to bend my own hooks with Mustad #34007 hooks using two pairs of pliers and free-handing each hook to get it right. These new ones have the bend just right from what I can see... Here's the entire thread so you can see a few samples of just what's possible using these hooks to create flies that are designed to be weedless because the hook rides point up by design... For those not aware - bendback patterns have one drawback - and that is you'll never hook a tarpon with one... Years ago Chico Fernandez in his first article on bendback patterns very carefully pointed that out....

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/274595/bendback-hooks#latest

As you can see the guy who started this thread is pretty skilled...

Are these just weedless hooks? I've never heard of the bendbacks, but these look like they'd work great for trout streamers, too. Are they only for saltwater patterns? Please enlighten me. I'm 65 and have never heard of these hooks.

The original bent hooks were something that was around years ago to allow bass anglers to create flies that were naturally weedless.... From what I remember you had to bend the hooks yourself if you wanted them. With the proper bend and materials tied on the point side of the hook (so it would ride point up) you tied up whatever streamer pattern you desired and the result was a fly that was naturally weedless - more or less by design... Don't see why it wouldn't have applications wherever you need something weedless in the salt or in freshwater....

Back in the mid-seventies Chico Fernandez found older freshwater samples of bendback patterns and worked up the first saltwater Bendback flies. At the time they were considered to be very innovative, he wrote an article about them and got a royalty contract with Umpqua Feather Merchants for the pattern. They were popular for years - particularly for speckled trout, redfish and snook in places where grass and other snags were a problem. In that first article, though, he specifically pointed out that he was never able to hook a tarpon with one - the bent hooks simply didn't work for that species...

These days you don't hear about them very much -mainly because tyers didn't like the bent hooks that were commercially available. I still tie and use them - mainly for redfish and bonefish so I was pleased to see that someone not only had brought back the hook style - but they'd also actually nailed the precise bend that I've been "free- handing" with two pairs of pliers for some years now.

What I can't tell you from the photos I've seen is whether the new hooks will be available in sizes small enough for freshwater trout use...

Hope this helps. Most fly shops do order from Umpqua so your local shop should be able to tell you about hook sizes, prices, availability. And yes, I'm still one of Umpqua's contract tyers myself - so there might be other outfits with very similar hooks competing with them...

Didnt know they were that expensive... at retail, but then Tiemco have always been pricey. Thats one of the reasons I use a lot of Owner hooks - and buy them by the 1000 per size when Im needing very strong, super sharp, premium hooks.

I don't tie many bend back flies. Occasionally, I'll tie Bob Popovics "Schoolie Fly". The hook reminds me of the Mustad 3777BR which is a live bait hook and the sharpest out of the box Mustad hook I've found. I use it mainly for floating Wooly Buggers. Much cheaper than the Umpqua. Don't see why they wouldn't work for bend backs.

21PwgPHKzDL._AC_.jpg

The Best factory hook for bendbacks Ive found is a VMC 6319 BN

But these look interesting. Ill have to try some out.

The old Keel hooks worked..I still have a 100 or so in size 6

Feathers5,

J. Stockard carries them in 6 sizes from 6 to 2/0. They are pricey at 60 cents per hook for sizes 6, 4, 2 & 1. 80 cents for size 1/0 $1 each for size 2/0.

I'll stick with bending my own for the few bendbacks I tie.

Not only are bendback mostly weedless, they are also good for fish with keen eyesight, like albies, that can be hook shy.