Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blackwater Virgil

Round Bead heads?

It's been a long time now, but I once got some flies that were basically a Seaducer pattern with round brass heads that had hole for and aft, but were also split so they could be placed over a hook and then closed with pliers or whatever. Does anyone make these any more? They made a neat looking head, and I was just curious. So many suppliers! So little tim!!!

never seen them

another poster on another forum asked about them and he never found them either

could they have been some sort of craft bead?

got a picture?

I still have a few hollow brass beads that I bought from Herter's many years ago. These are not solid brass but are hollow when squeezed onto the hook with pliers. I used them behind some propeller spinner blades that I got from the same source. Sorry but I have never again seen them offered anywhere since.

I also bought some plastic eyes that were round except for a little tit that protruded that was for tying the eye to the head of the fly. They were printed on some sort of clear plastic film. I really liked them and there was not worry about them coming off as they were firmly attached by thread. They were not as nice as many of the eyes offered today but I would use them if they were still available. Herter's had some neat stuff as well as a lot of cheap materials.

Thanks for the effort, guys. Just thought I'd ask. Don't have a pic. The last one I had got broke off and lost many years ago now. Just thought a single round bead would give me the action I'm looking for, but would shed weeds better than big bead chain eyes. C'est la' vie, I guess.

Virgil, I know the type of beads you're looking for! Seems the fly was called an Optic or something similar. I recall seeing them in an Orvis catalog many years ago.

I have a few of those beads around here somewhere. Got them with some other tying stuff in an Ebay auction. They're the beads used to make bead chain I believe. You might find them by contacting The Uncle Josh Company. They own the "Bead" Tackle Company now, that made the sinkers & lures with bead chain swivels. I would bet they could tell you if they're available. Or, contact Ball Chain Manufacturing. They have the beads, but not sure if they're open like you need. http://www.ballchain.com/

THANK YOU, flytire! Will try to order some ASAP and see if they'll do what I want them to. The old fly I had was essentially a seaducer pattern with the single bead head, and it looked good in the water, and moved well, but IIRC, I only had 3 or 4 and they got gone fast. I think I got them from the old Wm. Mills, Co., makers of high end bamboo fly rods and purveyors of all sorts of things flyfishing. The apparently went out of business long ago, and I haven't been able to find the single beads or flies tied with them since. It's probably no biggie, but I just liked the idea of a single bead so moss and weeds could or would more easily fall away from the fly. Again, thanks a bunch!