Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Senko Imitation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gatorjoe

gatorjoe

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by gatorjoe:

Senko Imitation

#2 INS

INS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

rolleyes.gif Interesting. Could work. I think I will try it. bugeyes.gif

#3 Pelhament

Pelhament

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Very cool design. You might try gluing a small piece of foam to the tail to make it hang off the bottom. Add's a little more action, and the fish go nuts for it.

#4 gatorjoe

gatorjoe

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Pelhament @ Dec 18 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool design. You might try gluing a small piece of foam to the tail to make it hang off the bottom. Add's a little more action, and the fish go nuts for it.

Actually the red on the back is mcfly foam tied in with the dubbing loop. It has great action. I know it works, we've fished it. The way its tied, stays weedless until you set the hook and then the tail moves out of the way so the hook can penetrate. I was getting hits on this fly the week before everything froze up here in colorado

#5 Mudfish620

Mudfish620

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

How do you keep the tail in place? Can you show a close up pic of how it's tied in on the hook?  Is the front and back tied together or separately?

Thanks, I know it's been a while since the original post.  Maybe someone else out there can help.

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:45 AM

My guess would be a orthodontic rubber band ... tiny rubber bands used to draw braced teeth into new positions.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

I'm not sure a band would have longevity. I would use a small O ring and tie the tail piece to that
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#8 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

I would be interested to see if it has the same fall flutter that the senko is famous for.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#9 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

I would be interested to see if it has the same fall flutter that the senko is famous for.

It wouldn't, Zip.  The distinctive wobble of a soft plastic stick bait is what makes them so deadly. 

This is not a "Senko" as much as it is just a plastic worm imitation.

Barbed hooks rule!

#10 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

If you spent time with foam and lead you could create a fly to fall or suspend at any rate you fancied.
I'm not really sure why people make a fly version of plastic worms instead of just using a worm. They are light enough to cast on the fly rod.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#11 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

I'm not really sure why people make a fly version of plastic worms instead of just using a worm. 

I feel this way about all "lure mimic" flies.  No need for a "Zara Spook" or "spinner bait" when you can fish with an actual one.  If you limit yourself to fly fishing, then limit yourself to flies, too.

Actually, when you get to 5 and 6 inch "Senko" styles, you couldn't use a fly rod.  Even if you did get it airborne, you couldn't cast it without ripping it off the hook.  They get somewhat heavy in larger sizes.

Barbed hooks rule!

#12 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

link in his post didn't work for me but the materials list is here;

http://www.flytyingf...attern9454.html

#13 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

Lots of Jerk Slugo type flies out there...YouTube it
And search here,myself and other tiers have posted them.

#14 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

I'm not really sure why people make a fly version of plastic worms instead of just using a worm. 

I feel this way about all "lure mimic" flies.  No need for a "Zara Spook" or "spinner bait" when you can fish with an actual one.  If you limit yourself to fly fishing, then limit yourself to flies, too.

Actually, when you get to 5 and 6 inch "Senko" styles, you couldn't use a fly rod.  Even if you did get it airborne, you couldn't cast it without ripping it off the hook.  They get somewhat heavy in larger sizes.
Depends on where you live and how good the fishing is, we don't have all that much public water here, if I'm casting and not catching as is often the case I'd rather use a fly rod I'm really not going to get much better at casting a spinning rod.

#15 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

I'm going to have to see what I can come up with since my fishing buddies are getting into wacky rigging and drop shotting.   There are senkos out there that are 3 inches long.  I did come across some at a fishing flea market  that had a mesh in the middle which made it more durable for a wacky rig and a mesh in the nose if you decided it to fish it straight.   I've played at making flies that imitate some of my favorite lures.   Zara Spooks, Hula Poppers, Tiny Torpedoes, Rapala minnows, even a Wood Chopper.  Those have worked for me.  The problem most fly tyers make is that they tie them on hooks design for flies.  I had to make my own shanks when I was fooling around with them.  It's easier today with articulated shanks.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."