Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Help identifying my new-found rod...

Wowee zowee, I am the proud new owner of a Thomas & Thomas graphite flyrod, purchased at an estate sale today, you don't want to know for how little... But I'm having trouble identifying it further. Can anyone help?

The marking says (in cursive writing), Thomas & Thomas 8'6" / 7 No 1005. It's a dark gray blank with burgundy wraps, small (weathered) cigar shaped cork, wood reel seat with aluminum reel seat components. Great shape, albeit a little scuffed.

Of course I know the 8'6" is the length and I assume the 7 is the weight. But I have no clue what the "No 1005" means or what approx. year or model the rod might be...

I'm thrilled because it's something I'd never in a million years buy myself new, or even used retail. But I have one now, and I'm smiling big. Please forgive my ridiculousness.

Store's closed for the weekend... I'm so impatient... You're right re No 1005 is the serial number, from scouring the web a bit.... Seems to be an early model graphite. Meanwhile if anyone might give some color, that would be great.

Congrats on the score. Nice it went to a flyfisher, and not an interior decorator type looking for a wall hanger.

I really, really like Thomas & Thomas rods - but like most can't afford the cost... What I did, almost 25 years ago was have them send me a pair of their Horizon blanks - they were two piece rods in a 10 and a 12wt... and I built up the pair to have quality big sticks for my anglers.... Each has caught its share of fish and some of the tarpon were well over 100lbs.... Had occasion to contact them a year ago for a new tip section to replace a broken top section on my 12wt... I was very pleasantly surprised by their ability to actually make me what I needed for a 25 year old rod.... and at pretty reasonable cost...

Contact them when you can for info on that old 7wt... and hope you get lots of use out of it...

heres an important paragraph from the above link

‘ON SERIAL NUMBERS’

Kent: I noticed you still serial number every rod, as well as, every rod section. Can you shed light on the importance of this?

Tom: It is something we carried over from bamboo rod building. It only really helps in identifying the genera of a rod for repair, so that the spec’s can be retrieved from our archives, in the event that our designs and colors have changed since the rod was purchased. Thus, we can bring the rod back precisely to it’s original action and aesthetics. Beyond that, I personally think there is a “cool” factor. Fly fisherman and women love history. If someone inherits a rod or purchases a pre-owned rod, they’re often fascinated to hear about when the rod was made, who was working at T&T at the time, and who the original owner of the rod was.

you still have to contact thomas & thomas for serial number history