Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brodrash

Lake Mead anyone?

After living in SO. Utah for 3 years it barely dawned on my stupid self that I live an hour away from Lake Mead. Im thinking I will definitely be making a trip or two this spring. Does anyone have any experience there, or thoughts on the lake in general?

Check the State records and you'll find that four of the top 30 record catches were from Lake Mead.

Way too far West for me.

Good luck, if'n you go there any time soon.

Looking forward to reports from there.

I've flown over it, my thought is boat required and plenty of gas to get to key fishing points etc. Big lakes are like that in my experience. But then I've never fished Lake Mead and probably never will, maybe experienced people who frequent it know some shoreline hot spots.. It has 750 miles of shoreline incidentally.

I used to live in Boulder City in the mid-1990's and spent a lot of time at Lake Mead and Lake Mohave. Things have changed in the 20+ years I've lived there but the fishing could range from amazing to blank. Starting this time of the year we caught lots of nice stripers from shore in bays where shad congregated. Also stocked trout. No idea if they still stock trout. In spring there was really good bluegill/sunfish action in the bays- find spawning areas and it could be awesome fly fishing for big panfish. Also outstanding channel cat fishing and they were excellent to eat. Everyone concentrates on bass out there. It's a wonderful place, I really miss it.

I've never fished there, although I have seen small portions of it while driving past. I do know it's now home to invasive Quagga mussels, so if you fish there wash your gear carefully so you don't transport them to other waters.

If I ever get back out west my target water will be the Truckee river between Donner Pass California and Reno Nevada I believe. And probably Pyramid lake.. You can get 7-8lb trout out that way in about three different varieties. Mead to me would be a big challenge, it took me years, even decades to learn Moosehead lake in Maine and it's a bit under half the size of Mead. Even at that I know many hot spots by boat but certainly not all and from shore is a real trial of endurance against odds..

JSzymczyk, Big bluegill would most likely be my main target. As Mike mentioned, I think some guy pulled a four lb (if im not mistaken) record bluegill out last year. I would love to get into some stripers from kayak as well, but from what I have been told the stripers there are extremely stunted. So I may be better off chasing stripers to my east at Lake Powell. Anyhow, hopefully I can make it down there in the next little bit.

Thanks for the Input everyone, if I make it down I will post a report for sure!

Brodrash- The 4+ pound Redear Sunfish have been coming from Lake Havasu. I have not seen news of 4 pound bluegills, but anything is possible. I have heard Lake Mead is gaining water again which is good. When I visited there about 6 years ago, places where we used to scuba dive were way up high and dry. The lake was down something like 50 vertical feet from the 90's.

You're right it was Havasu, my bad. Still worth a trip for some stripers and other bass though. I was also surprised to see that the Nevada state record Salmon was caught there in such a deserty place.