Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite Coldwater Species

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Coldwater Species (345 member(s) have cast votes)

Just what is your very favorite coldwater species?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Ddevil00

Ddevil00

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

Brookies.

#47 onceahoosier

onceahoosier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

Rainbows. Catch a lot of them and they're great acrobats. I get a real thrill out of catching the occasional brown though....

Tom

#48 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Once again, Brown Trout at night. I went back to New York for a week and caught six over 20 inches in two nights. Public land heavily fished water. There is nothing like the feel of a large Brown aggressively taking a large Muddler Minnow at midnight.

40670_1567304148540_1413530242_31575613_6492449_n.jpg
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#49 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (troutguy @ Aug 14 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once again, Brown Trout at night. I went back to New York for a week and caught six over 20 inches in two nights. Public land heavily fished water. There is nothing like the feel of a large Brown aggressively taking a large Muddler Minnow at midnight.

Great picture. That looks like a fighter!!! boxing.gif
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins

#50 Moonax

Moonax

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

I voted brown. Love their colors

#51 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:53 AM

there is no better looking fish than a small brookie!

#52 boynabubble

boynabubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

I voted for the Cutthroat. I love Yellowstone Cutts, the underdog of Western trout. I've caught a dozen over 20" in the Greater Yellowstone Area. I love their colors and the places they live! Southern App. brookies were a close second, followed by the ever common bows and browns. It honestly was a hard decision between them all. I fish for Browns and Bows most often, but cherish Cutts and Brookies on their native streams.

BNB
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#53 panfisherteen

panfisherteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

Brook trout, they are somewhat rare around here, I have only caught them out in Nova Scotia, so it makes them even more pursuitable here. Can't wait until brookie opener next spring

#54 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

where is the sturgeon?
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#55 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

I voted brown, but mainly because I haven't caught / seen any of the 3 other salmonids commonly stocked in Ozz's cool water streams (rainbow, brook or atlantic salmon).

I did just read an article about Taimen though wub.gif

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#56 Laxi

Laxi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

I voted browns, to me they are the most beautiful fish available in my country and my family owns a beautiful trout stream that I fish alot. Atlantic salmon is a fantastic fish but I rarely have the opportunity to fish for it. But no fish fights harder than a sea trout that has just entered the river from the sea. Credit must also go to the arctic char which can be really beautiful and a hard fighter.

#57 zug buggin

zug buggin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

I never was bitten by the Brookie bug, I prefer larger water and big nasty Brown trout
"Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

#58 TotallyFlyTying

TotallyFlyTying

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Hi all,
I voted Rainbow trout as it was a rainbow that kindly swallowed my first self tied fly and my first fish on a fly rod!
How chuffed I was...
Best Regards to you all,
~David
Feel free to watch my Fly-Tying Videos Here!
I only fish on days that end in Y

#59 flyderaght

flyderaght

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

coho on the fly but there is one that should be there is the chum salmon. pound for pound they are fantastic fish to catch. they probably demolish more gear than any other salmon. eager to whatever lands in front of it, super aggressive and fights like there is no tomorrow.
marc

#60 joops

joops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

I voted brown trout but I saw ferox trout wasn't on the list,
please check them out if you hav'nt seen them before.