Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kyblev

Hello from Kentucky

Just joined the forum. I'm a 22 year retired veteran and have decided to give fly tying another try. Where I live here in south central there are not any fly shops closer than a couple hour drive. There is a big opportunity here being lost as Cumberland river is down the road and KYDNR stocks several streams in the area. I wanted to pick up tying again so I wouldn't have to rely on someone over 2 hours away recommending what to use. I started again and have realized how much I enjoy it. Who knows maybe I can get something started here. But just wanted to say hello and look forward to becoming a part of the forum.

Ask questions, search old threads, all the information needed is here somewhere. List of good supply houses here; http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88116&do=findComment&comment=736821

basic materials; http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87533&do=findComment&comment=729182

Thanks folks. This site looks really awesome. I'm planning a trip this spring to Adirondacks for some fly fishing. I really liked the thread on tying flies. Great info and finally a site that showes the process and materials. Now searching for a better vice. Budget 100-200. Any recommendations.

Welcome to the site, Kyblev. Glad to see you find your way "back" to fly tying. Here in Florida, I rarely see another fly angler on the water. I always get attention. Hopefully, you'll get some too, maybe start a fly tying "game night" !!

The fly tying game night sounds interesting. My wife works out of town most of the week so it's just me. That could work. There are folks who fly fish below the dam, but most are out of towners. I've got a creek down the road full of smallmouths, think I'm gonna give it a try on fly this spring.

Welcome to the site. I spent a few years in NW Tennessee long before I took fly fishing. I've been using a Danvise for 15 years now. The price last time I brought one was around $100. Not a pretty vise. Blue collar would be a fitting description. Once you start fishing for smallies you'll forget all about trout. Besides the flies are easier to tie.

Philly, thanks for the info. I know what smallies can do on a ultra lite. Can't wait to try one on a fly rod.