Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Old Friends

Over the weekend dad and I went searching for a few old friends. It has been such a long time since we seen them that we were not sure they would be hanging out in their usual spots. From the record floods this spring the area really changed since the last time we were there but we ended up finding them back in our favorite spots. It was good to get see them again, it has been far too long.

post-1-0-51776700-1307555412_thumb.jpg

While we were there I even made a couple of new friends. I have seen gar cruising around this creek for years but they never really showed much interest in what I had to offer. That day a foam floating minnow did the trick and I have never seen gar become so aggressive. Not usually a fish that I target but they were chasing flies with reckless abandon and when hooked they were putting on quite the aerobatic show.

post-1-0-16300800-1307555634_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-10607200-1307555640_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the gar!!! I spent all weekend chasing them, had quite a few follows which got the blood going but not one single take, they were usually in pairs and cruising around the surface often taking gulps of air. I tried quite a few flies but nothing got their interest to the point of taking it. Wondering if you have a pic of the fly?

I don't think I have a photo of the fly, but might work on getting one. Pretty easy to tie. Body is blue over white ice wing fiber. For the head I use white craft foam. Cut it into the shape of a heart, fold it and then glue it onto the hook at about a 45 degree angle. Added some eyes and colored the foam with a light shade of blue. The fly sits in the water but then dives when stripped. The faster you strip the deeper it dives. Quit your retrieve and it slowly rises back to the surface. I use it to catch smallmouth all the time.

I don't think I have a photo of the fly, but might work on getting one. Pretty easy to tie. Body is blue over white ice wing fiber. For the head I use white craft foam. Cut it into the shape of a heart, fold it and then glue it onto the hook at about a 45 degree angle. Added some eyes and colored the foam with a light shade of blue. The fly sits in the water but then dives when stripped. The faster you strip the deeper it dives. Quit your retrieve and it slowly rises back to the surface. I use it to catch smallmouth all the time.

Cheers! Ahh i think i have seen this fly before, similar to 'Duck's Sipper' or the 'Sneaky Duck' - is it similar to this one?

http://forthefly.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/dsc_0082.jpg?w=949

Damn i even have some tied up in my box!

very similar, the heads that I use are a little different but the exact same principle.

So now your a pirate? GAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! ^_^

Do you even remember how to fish?

Okay now that I got that out of the way. Nice fish glad to see you and pops got out again. Now you two get your asses in gear and get back up here for some real fishing in July <_<