Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Smokys in July

I'm going to the Smokys in mid July. I'll mainly be fishing Bradley Fork and Chasteen Creek. I've never fished this area. Any pattern suggestions?

I would say when fishing those smaller streams in the Smokies you shouldn't fish it any different than fishing for trout in a small freestone streams you normally fish. I think experimenting and finding the right pattern by yourself is the fun part of fly fishing. Myself, I would fish some smaller size standard nymph patterns and don't forget about midge pupa. Those trout do get selective on them streams and often key on the midge pupa. Good luck, Also check with the local fly shop in the area as they should be willing to help you with what is hatching and the fly selection you need for the given time your fishing them streams B)

In July you could do well fishing "Little Yellow Stoneflies" B)

I've fished the Smokeys in the heat of summer, and a lot of times the water is super low. I would definately fish the faster running water, thats where the fish will be, and the bugs are small. I usually fish a Small stimulator with a #18-20 midge dropper, zebra, red, whatever. I also like beetles as well, the fish seem to like them up there. Good luck, there are some beautiful spots up there.

With low water, it's very helpful to try and fish the less presured areas. Terrestrials and High-Vis Parachute Adams. In my Smokies experience, presentation and a stealthy approach were key.