Fly Tying
Mike West

OMG over engineered or what!

This is the Rube Goldberg of razor blade benders.

This is right up there with $100+ nippers.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/tywheel-razor-blade-trimmer

I bought this for like $10. I dont use it much but it does preform some applications very well... found this product here in a post but I dont know where the website is now or the post.

D0_AE50_D6_F109_4_A8_D_B787_DAB6473700_F

It looks safer than yours Mike. I've heard too many people talk about that thing shooting a blade across the room. That one you linked to looks like a firm secure grip.

I like yours the best though Utyer

Is that holder adjustable, some what , I'm sure. For me it would be tough, I like to be able to feel the contact tension of the blade as it cuts through the material. Sorta like it tough

This is the Rube Goldberg of razor blade benders.
This is right up there with $100+ nippers.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/tywheel-razor-blade-trimmer

I bought this for like $10. I dont use it much but it does preform some applications very well... found this product here in a post but I dont know where the website is now or the post.
D0_AE50_D6_F109_4_A8_D_B787_DAB6473700_F

The tool Mike owns was made in PA and represents, in my mind, a simple and well-engineered alternative to holding a blade in hand. It's not presently in distribution, but I think the maker has them available again. I've not heard or read of any blade ejection issues.

As for the other...,well, I think the hundred buck nippers are the wiser purchase.

Speaking of new gadgets, Mike, did you ever get that Predator vise?

I watched a blade fly out the same type of holder last Saturday. That was the instructor's main complaint about it. Apparently it happens more often than he likes. I'll stick to breaking the blades in half and using the half blade to do the trimming.

The tool Mike owns was made in PA and represents, in my mind, a simple and well-engineered alternative to holding a blade in hand. It's not presently in distribution, but I think the maker has them available again. I've not heard or read of any blade ejection issues.

As for the other...,well, I think the hundred buck nippers are the wiser purchase.

Speaking of new gadgets, Mike, did you ever get that Predator vise?

Nope I keep having one financial disaster after another in my life. Flipped my Nucanoe and lost about $600 worth of stuff Then the icing on the cake was I had a BBQ mishap and turned it into a melted piece of plastic.

Still want one real bad though

I take all my double edged razors and crack them in half length-wise before using them. With just a half blade you can use it straight or curve it free-hand with no problems. The moment the blade begins to drag instead of slice out it goes...

I can add another personal experience with the holder in Mike W's photo. Blade came flying out during use; it didn't just fall out, it rocketed out. Luckily away from me. But from now on will be sure to use eye protection (if I continue to use it). But $45 is pricey.

Thanks, Bob H