Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Northeast Brookie

Small thin web like strands when using black laquer and nail polish...

Why is it that these small web like strands will happen when I'm using Wapsi black laquer on the heads of my flies? I have and had added laquer thinner... Maybe I didn't add as much as I should?

Additionally, can you cut or thin Sally Hansen top coat? This too sometimes develops

the small thin web strands. If so, can I use the laquer thinner as well?

Just add more thinner. Also, trying to use lacquer in a hot environment can be challenging because it dries so fast. You can get slower evaporating thinner at an auto body supply but unless you plan on doing a lot of painting it may not be worth the investment.

For those of you that use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails as a head cement, the chemical composition is Ethyl Acetate, N-butyl Acetate, N-butyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, and Nitrocellulose. The solvent is composed of the first 4 acetates and alcohols.

Almost all head cement is a formulation of nail polish. For example, Hard as Hull iHead Cement is nail polish. It is manufactured by Lacquerite, Inc. for BackCountry Laboratories which is trademark of Prestige Cosmetics. Lacquerite is a major manufacturer of nail polish.

On Monday, August 30, 1999, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for BACKCOUNTRY LABORATORIES by PRESTIGE COSMETICS, Deerfield Beach 33442. The USPTO has given the BACKCOUNTRY LABORATORIES trademark serial number of 75787956.”

http://www.trademarkia.com/backcountry-laboratories-75787956.html

https://www.facebook.com/Lacquerite/

hard_as_hull_cat13.jpg

The ingredients of Hard as Hull are Ethyl Acetate, N-butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nitrocellulose, N-butyl Alcohol, and Camphor. Sound familiar? Slightly different order of ingredients and Camphor. Nail polishes contain camphor as a plasticizer. Does the list sound familiar. Check it against the Sally Hansen’s Formulation.

Since the volatile head cements seem to be formulations of nail polish, I recommend a thinner such as the Beauty Secrets Nail Polish Thinner. It is the house brand at Sally Beauty Shop and sells for about $4.50 for 4 ozs. The ingredients are Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, and Heptane. The evaporation index is less than acetone and so the head cement will last longer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=solvents+evaporation+rate+table&biw=1783&bih=1320&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYkb6rhvTRAhXrrVQKHSa3C-kQsAQIKw&dpr=2#imgrc=u4W4DBgDw3LZ-M:

Both ethyl acetate and butyl acetate, the two primary solvents used in nail polish, evaporate more slowly than acetone. Both the ethyl and butyl acetates will be the first two ingredients in nail polish. The mixture of the two controls the evaporation rate.

Dissolving Solvent Relative Evaporation Rate

Acetone 5.7

Ethyl Acetate 4.1

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) 3.8

Isopropyl Acetate 3.0

Heptane 2.8

Methyl n-Propyl Ketone 2.3

Propyl Acetate 2.3

Methyl Isobutyl Ketone (MIBK) 1.6

Isobutyl Acetate 1.4

Butyl Acetate 1.0

SBS-163400.png

I use Dollar Store Acetone to thin nail polish. I have yet to have any problem thinning any nail polish. I use any cheap dollar a bottle polish I find, and Sally Hansen polish as well. I keep several bottles going, and some are thinned quite a lot, to make the "cement" penetrate better.

One other "head cement" it use is home made flexible cement. I make this from Shoe Goo, or Goop, which is thinned with Xylene. Do this in a well ventilated area.

Hey SilverCreek all those Chemistry classes finally paid off! LOL LOL I use Beauty Secret Nail Polish from Sally's because you get a bigger bottle for about 7 bucks and it seems not to thicken up as bad Sally Hansen's. Maybe it is because the Beauty Secret is a much larger bottle. Anyway I got tired of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nail always thickening up. Now I know why the Acetone diluting never really solved the problem with Sally Hansen's. Thanks for the insight and explanation. Have a great week-end!!!!

You are welcome.

Beauty Secret Thinner also smells better unless you like huffing acetone. Since nail salon workers are exposed to the vapors for decades, the thinners use very safe chemicals. Read up on Ethyl Acetate and Butyl Acetate. These are the first 2 components of both Sally Hansen's and Hard as Hull Head Cement. The reason is that both are found naturally in foods and Butyl Acetate ( N-butly Acetate) is even used as a flavoring in food. Notice that acetone is NOT an ingredient! Acetone will thin head cement but it is not as safe as Beauty Secrets Thinner which uses Butyl Acetate and Ethyl Acetate as the first two ingredients.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_acetate "Ethyl acetate is used primarily as a solvent and diluent, being favored because of its low cost, low toxicity, and agreeable odor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_acetate "Butyl acetate is found in many types of fruit, where along with other chemicals it imparts characteristic flavors and has a sweet smell of banana or apple. It is used as a synthetic fruit flavoring in foods such as candy, ice cream, cheeses, and baked goods. "