Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Fishpond Summit Review

This bag is my new favorite to take with me. Its just the right size, and being a sling, it doesn't get in the way while fishing. There are the right amount of compartments and they work perfectly for just about anything you want to put in there. It keeps you organized, and able to find anything you need in an instant while out on the water. Its also very comfortable to wear, and kinda hugs you while its on.

There is one thing that bugs me though, and that is how to use the net holder. I cannot figure out how to easily keep a net with this pack. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but it just doesn't seem like there is anywhere to properly put the net.

I've been using the Fishpond Thunderhead sling, similar design and water proof (I like to take my dslr), for about 8 months. I've been pleased with it although it doesn't have all the compartments the Summit offers (I knew this prior to purchasing and valued waterproof over organization). I store my net in the built in sleeve. I rotate the pack under my left armpit when needing to gain access. If the stars align and my coordination is on point I'm able to slot the net back into its sleeve easily after netting a fish, more often than not I opt to rotate the pack to the front (under my armpit) and reinsert the net from there. I found myself getting frustrated when I missed the sleeve multiple times and realized if I just rotated the pack it would be in and I'd be back to fishing.

I too have a Fishpond sling pack. (don't know the model, but it has a small flap over the front) That pack is also bereft of any convenient way to hold a net. Though Iike the pack, I have stopped using it for this reason.

Thanks for the good review McFly! Glad you found a pack that works well for you, and that you took the time to share what you found with us and others.

I recently did a pretty exhaustive search of all the sling packs on the market right now (that I could find), and ended up settling on the Vedavoo Beast, largely because of the net placement issue. The Vedavoo pack is the only sling I've ever seen that gets that part right. When the pack is on your back, the net hangs just behind your non-casting shoulder. When you spin the pack to the front, the net hangs at waist level next to your casting hand.

This is not to pooh-pooh packs by other manufacturers -- Fishpond makes excellent gear (I have their Blue River pack and love it), as do many others. I came very close to buying first a Fishpond, then an Umpquaa sling pack at different points in my search. The Vedavoo was just the best "for me".

Enjoy your new pack! There's nothing like a piece of gear that works just right. :)

So I have since found out how to get the net to work right. If I swing under my shoulder, rather than overtop, the net doesn't fall out and is easy to access. It doesn't nail me in the head, or anything either. Now the pack is perfect for me. As some of you have mentioned other packs. Yeah I am with you, seems like many of the packs are similar or just as good. I ended up going with fishpond because of the arrangement of pockets and how it fits my camera gear perfectly. But there are some great other options out there for sure!