Fly Tying

I'm not any help as I never leave the reel on the rod (except when fishing rolleyes.gif ). I store all of my reels in a case and my rods in a tube without the feature you mention.

Bass Pro and Cabela's have dual cases for 2, 4 pc 9' fly rods with reels - price is around $50.

I'm no help, either, as I don't even break my rods down, unless I am traveling. My rods are ready to go, sitting in the corner.

When I travel, I use a four piece rod that fits in my suitcase.

Problem with these cases is that if the reel bounces around at all, it can snap your tip section very easily unless it is securely out of the way. Had/have a case like Flytire described, and stopped using it after the 2nd or 3rd trip to the repair shop. Might have been caused by trying to leave the rod rigged before putting it in the tube, but regardless, a rod case that breaks rods just doesn't seem like a good idea. YMMV.

i always leave the reel on the rod, reel in my line onto the reel, break down the rod to two pieces and put the sections in their appropriate sleeve in the case. never had a problem in 35+ years using db dun cases

i guess ive had good luck using them

I use cases that leave the reel attached. No brand loyalty just whatever is the cheapest when I need one, mostly cabela's brand, maybe all cabela's brand. I've never had a rod tip break in one and I've never heard of this happening. Most times I keep the rods assembled because they fit in my truck. If I take my sedan then I will break it down and carry in a case. My truck makes a better base camp though.

I checked out the DW case and it looks a little clunky, and expensive, for my taste.

I have only one. I don't use it very often, but have used it some. I can't remember where I got it but it has the Scientific Angler name and logo on it. I have so many fly rods and fly reels that it would be difficult for me to store them all in such cases. My reels are all on wall hanging display racks and my rods (most but not all) are stored on a couple of floor mounted rod racks the same as some tackle stores use.

Joe

The reason I’m thinking about getting one is when I go to the mountains to trout fish I can keep both rods safe together with the rest of the crap we take with us.

I have both a single one and a double, I use them for traveling with line stored on the reel. At home I store them separately, leaving a wet reel/line in a case can lead to mildew.

I use the Bass Pro brand of cases that hold the reel still on the rod. Been using that style for well over 20+ years and never had one break a tip. Honestly never even heard of anyone saying they broke a tip with a case like that so that is the first time I have heard that. I never leave them "rigged" up though, just too much of a chance of the hook getting snagged inside the case so maybe thats what caused the tip to break?

I use the Bass Pro brand of cases that hold the reel still on the rod. Been using that style for well over 20+ years and never had one break a tip. Honestly never even heard of anyone saying they broke a tip with a case like that so that is the first time I have heard that. I never leave them "rigged" up though, just too much of a chance of the hook getting snagged inside the case so maybe thats what caused the tip to break?

Same here. Most of my rods are in tubes with the reels in a separate case. However I do have a 2 piece TFO in a bass pro case with the reel attached. 12 years now and no problems with the case or the rod. I also never leave them rigged up. I remove the flys and reel up the line, leader and tippet before the rod goes into the sock, sock in the case. I always put the thick end of a rod section into the sock/case first so the tip is down at the reel end. That way the end being pushed into the case is thicker and has more protection from breaking.

When I got my 'starter' fly rig, I found a 4 1/2' long Rod/Reel case with an exterior pocket @ the flea market. It's lasted 20+ years with no rod/tip damage. The rod/reel stays in the case, safe & sound except when I'm fishing with it.

The damn thing is almost as tall as I am!