Fly Tying
hexfli

Any good outside the box tool caddy ideas?

I am trying to find a good way to keep my tools all together, organized, and accesible. Along with keeping my scissors in top shape.

Thanks!

Eli

Take a look at my bench or coneheads and you'll find some something there. I used Teflon and hard wood. A drill press is the tool to use for this.

I use a Bill Dance Plano box, the kind that can be snapped together sold at BPS, called a Connectable Satchel. They fold out and you can keep all your tools in there and even saw out a small section to keep your vise stored in. Plus its handy to take out with you.

I picked up a silverware box from the Salvation second hand! It keeps alot of stuff in place. I've picked up a few different boxes from the second hand shops for good prices!

$3.00 for the silverware box pictued below!

BFR

The wife got me a portable fly tying desk for Christmas from one of the fly shops here in Pa. One of the best presents I have ever got. It holds just about everthing you need and its easy to take with you where ever you go.

go-n-fishn

My wife bought me one of the Renzetti rubber tool caddies last year for Christmas, it works well although it isnt quite as appealing to the eye as a nice hardwood caddy

Hey everybody, I found and joined this forum a couple of days ago - absolutely love it. This is my first post, hope the pics come out.

For a great portable tool caddy that can fit in your fishing vest, find a hardshell eyeglass case. They can be had from an eye doctor for a couple of bucks. It won't hold everything, but you'd be surprised just how much will fit in one. Makes a great streamside tying companion. Here are some pics of mine:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

See ya!

Hi diermit,

Welcome to the Forum... I really like your eye glass case idea for holding tools when traveling, and it looks like it holds a lot, is slim, and best of all the bodkin tip wont prick me. Thanks, I'm going to get one for my trip back east in two weeks.

I have a drawer stuffed full of tools but the ones used most are on my tying desk in a couple orgaizers. The rotating Dyna King holds quite a few tools without taking up much space.

Graham

Take a 6"to8" section of 2by4. drill a bunch of holes. Drill one wide hole near the end for your cement bottle. Sand it down and you'll have a nice tool caddy @ your finger tips.

Renzetti tool caddy

IPB Image

Made 2 Fly tool caddy

IPB Image

The midge bench from Oasis fly tying benches

IPB Image

I made a pretty good tool holder using some one inch thick scrap walnut lumber. Took two pieces-one about 4 in. square and one about 2 1/2 in square. Center the small one on top of the bigger one and glue them together. Then drill various size holes around the edge of the bigger piece on the bottom and all over the smaller piece. I then mounted it on a small lazy susan bracket so you can revolve it to the tool you need. Holds a lot of tools and doesn't take up much space. You could even go 3 or 4 pieces high if you wanted.

Dave

I took a piece of closed cell foam from a box that held something my girlfriend bought at a dept store. Its about 2in by 6in. just use a standerd pr of scissors and snip a few holes in it. I took my dremel and cut out a few holes for the bottles, and stackers and it works wonders. And best of all it only cost a few min of my time.

I'm going to make a nice wooden block for my benchtop someday, but for now I have two foot 2 X 2 with holes drilled along in it. That holds all the tools that don't hang on the pegboard.

For my bobbins I punched holes in a piece of foam that came with the packaging for a computer shipment at work. The bobbins sit in there real nice.

Computers and electronics often come with some interesting foam packaging... worth your while to have the IT guys at work or whereever let you know when there's some new stuff to look at before it gets pitched.

Using my extensive woodworking skills, I crafted a couple of tool holders from 3" long, 3" diameter pcs of White Birch (with the bark still on). Drilled some 1/4" diameter holes in one end, sprayed them with polyursomething and put felt on the other end.

One is for tools, the other for bobbins.