Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Stippled Poppers

Was searching the warmwater threads for the thread in which Stippled shared his technique. Can't find it anywhere. Can someone help me out here? Stippled, any hints?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...t=0&start=0

I began to participate in the thread on the second page.

Other than that, the recent threads I began:

Playing with Popper Designs, More Poppers Tied For Display At Raffles, and Bream Micro Poppers would be about all I've posted here on the subject.

There is a draft pamphlet I am working on which still needs work.

Stippled,

Got your PM. THANK YOU!!! Was down loading it and got bumped of our ethernet connection. Going try it again here in a sec. Just bought some sz 2 saltwater poppers for the largemouths and really want to try your technique. Not sure how they are going to turn out, but I'll share my results when I'm done. Again, thanks for the link! Thank you to Ray and the other guys who have already posted. Don't know why I couldn't find those threads. I even searched under members posts and couldn't find it. Oh well. Got it from the source! Thanks again.

That is an awesome older thread with a ton of great information.

Ron,

Gave your technique a try last night. The results are sorely lacking when compared to your designs, but I think with a little proactice and the right tools to apply the paint, I can get the hang of this. I never was much of an artist. I can paint the crap outta an interior room, but that's about it! I'll PM you a pic but you have to promise not to show them to anyone!

Ron,

Gave your technique a try last night. The results are sorely lacking when compared to your designs, but I think with a little proactice and the right tools to apply the paint, I can get the hang of this. I never was much of an artist. I can paint the crap outta an interior room, but that's about it! I'll PM you a pic but you have to promise not to show them to anyone!

I assure you I am the soul of discretion. However, keep it around so you can later show others how far you have come. I still have the first miserable drawings I did and a few of the first poppers too.

When I started with dots it was on a rather large drawing. After about 60 hours working on the piece the results were so uneven I abandoned it and started doing much smaller drawings. But it was a start. Having the proper tools helps a lot. I posted what I used to make my tools in smokinprice's thread "More Poppers tied during the Blizzard of 2010" after he showed some pretty nice work which he said were done using a paint brush... which is very much harder to control.

i tried some foam body painting but it just turned into a dissaster. do you put something on the foam body before you paint?

Some people use an all-purpose sealer and then apply an even coat(s) of a background paint.

I just apply two or more layers of a background color. This has worked for me with hard foam

soft foam, cork, and balsa(but a sealer definitely helps with balsa). When I am painting a white

background, I sometimes apply a pearl finish before applying the other colors on top of the white.

The pearl finish I hasn't worked so well over other colors I've tried.

Well, after I though about if for a moment, I have decided to share my feeble attempts and maybe turn this thread into a learning experience. I understand the technique, but just have 10 thumbs on each hand and can't stipple for shit (yet). But I'm going to keep at it and flirt with some complimentary and contrasting color schemes. This is my first attempt...half hearted as it is...

post-20880-1267154871_thumb.jpg

Well, after I though about if for a moment, I have decided to share my feeble attempts and maybe turn this thread into a learning experience. I understand the technique, but just have 10 thumbs on each hand and can't stipple for shit (yet). But I'm going to keep at it and flirt with some complimentary and contrasting color schemes. This is my first attempt...half hearted as it is...

I don't think this is as bad as you think it is. You're on the right track, IMO.

I knew it would look better after sealing the finish with epoxy. That I have learned from doing a lot of two or three color poppers. I did discover it takes very little paint to achieve the stippling. The first one I did I'm calling the Warty Frog because the paint dots are so thick it actually gave the body the texture of a toad. So I painted it all black and epoxied it. I prefer black poppers on several of my favorite bass ponds anyway, but it actually looks neat. Almost like the body was molded that way. A few others turned out better. I can tell this is gonna take a little patience and practice. I don't think the bass will care if it doesn't look like Ron's fine peices. I think you would like this , Dart. You ought to give it a go!

Was the popper in your vise while you tried to paint it?

The hand needs to be steady for best control. I hold the popper with a pair of forceps in my non-dominant hand with the hand resting on my stable oak computer desk tying table. The hand holding the painting implement is resting on the table too with the hand close to but not touching the popper. I press the paint onto the popper by gently moving the hand at the wrist.

Slightly smaller dots might have been used... fewer white dots on the top half and more white dots on the bottom.

With the last class I did on this type of painting I passed out some 3" X 5" cards for people to practice on(eyes first and then a couple of simple patterns) before having them actually work on a pencil popper. The old master painters back in the day had their apprentices do copy work before they tried to do original work. In like manner the next thing I had the class do was take five pencil poppers I gave them. Four were in different stages of completion. The last one was finished. The class's task was to make the first one look like the second, the second like the third, the third like the fourth, and the fourth like the finished one using the diameter tools provided.

The first poppers I did were copies of the Accardo Miss Prissy. I still like that popper.

YellowMissPrissyInSoftFoam.png

This one is done on a White Rainy's Mini-Me Pop. The clear coat is four coats of Loon Hard Head.