Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Redngton Classic Trout Review

So I dont post my reviews often here but Mike asked me to give some feedback on it a while back on this rod, so here it is. Its a long review, but there is lots to be said! lol

I concur, it's a nice rod. I think it's a nice rod for anybody, beginner, novice, expert, lifetime fly fishermen. I like mine so much I won't be buying another 4wt ever, barring breakage. I'd note they are 129.00 on amazon prime.

My one very minor criticism of your review is why on gods green earth would you review this rod in a 2 and 3 wt and then comment on what you think might happen with a 4, 5 or 6 wt. A beginner should never even consider a 2 or 3 weight. I may be a little biased because I think 2 and 3 wts are rods to buy when you have every other rod out there and even then I would not ever buy one. Other then that I thought it was a nice review.

I concur, it's a nice rod. I think it's a nice rod for anybody, beginner, novice, expert, lifetime fly fishermen. I like mine so much I won't be buying another 4wt ever, barring breakage. I'd note they are 129.00 on amazon prime.

My one very minor criticism of your review is why on gods green earth would you review this rod in a 2 and 3 wt and then comment on what you think might happen with a 4, 5 or 6 wt. A beginner should never even consider a 2 or 3 weight. I may be a little biased because I think 2 and 3 wts are rods to buy when you have every other rod out there and even then I would not ever buy one. Other then that I thought it was a nice review.

$129 on prime??? Must be a new sale, I didnt see that 2 days ago when I looked, Ill look again.

So the reason I reviewed this in a 2 and 3 weight is because thats what I own in it. Not gonna spend extra money to buy a 5wt version just for this review, when Im not gonna use it. And, I would totally agree with you on newcomers buying a 5wt to start in most places. Where I live though, 3wts are the norm. Small flies, light tippit, etc. in fact I use a 3wt for 90% of my fishing around here.

Good point on rods and region.

Yeah man, but I get what you mean, for 90% of the US, a 3wt is almost pointless. But I did discuss that point in the review, that for me I use a 2 or 3wt for small flies and trout. But for larger trout and larger flies a 5wt is needed.

I bought the 7'6" it was my second fly rod, my first was a 5 wt TFO I received from healing waters. The CT is a great rod, 3wt was an ideal second rod, it makes small fish a blast and the CT has the backbone to handle a 3lb smallie, I've caught trout, carp, gills, gar, catfish and several other species on it. My only regret was I didn't buy 2 or 3 when they were cheap, glad to see Redington brought it back

I bought the 7'6" it was my second fly rod, my first was a 5 wt TFO I received from healing waters. The CT is a great rod, 3wt was an ideal second rod, it makes small fish a blast and the CT has the backbone to handle a 3lb smallie, I've caught trout, carp, gills, gar, catfish and several other species on it. My only regret was I didn't buy 2 or 3 when they were cheap, glad to see Redington brought it back

I agree! I recently though did see this on sale for $127 somewhere, pretty darn good deal. I think amazon...

I have a Redington RS2 3wt. Bought it on clearance from Cabela's when it was discontinued.

The rod performs great. Even had a guide comment on how nice the action was. I like it better than my 3wt Sage LL.

I can't fault a Redington. They are a great entry rod or a rod for an experienced caster.

Yep! Hard to beat rods for the price. And even for the experienced Angler. Someone who doesnt want multiple $1000 rods. I mean, you should have at least two rods. One as a backup. Even if your only going to fish one rod weight. So as a backup their rods would be great! However as a main rod Redington would as well. Just great rods at the price.