Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackleback

Fishing Report 5/17/2011

I celebrated my birthday a day early yesterday fishing the Current. We just had a flood so I was interested to see how much the river had changed. It was still up a little and getting around was tricky at times but overall the flood left it in good shape; it just changed everything up. A wading staff would have been a good thing to have. I'd heard everyone was catching nothing but rainbows so I was pleasantly surprised to catch quite a few brownies the best being about 17". I Czech nymphed my way downstream then put a coiled sighter into my leader and French nymphed my way back up. The fly of the day was a #16 rusty brown biot nymph with a fire orange thread collar and a copper tungsten bead. It managed to stay as my dropper all day surviving countless snags earning it retirement to my hat. My anchors didn't fair so well and my fly box shows it. I've got a lot of tying to do before my next trip. Depending on the water I used a cased caddis I tie on a jig hook, woven polish nymphs, and stonefly nymphs very similar to a dronestone as anchors. All the browns took my dropper and the rainbows were about 50/50 between it and the anchors. If you're interested theres a report with all kinds of pics of the river changes on my blog. Theres a link in my signature.

post-21899-0-05015900-1305748751_thumb.jpg

a little brown

post-21899-0-46165900-1305748702_thumb.jpg

it's big brother

post-21899-0-62414800-1305748823_thumb.jpg

Where I used to cross the river......but not anymore

-Mike

Does look like beautiful water, very nice report! Just wondering if you saw with this high water many fish in quite close and shallow at all e.g pockets or right against the bank?

Does look like beautiful water, very nice report! Just wondering if you saw with this high water many fish in quite close and shallow at all e.g pockets or right against the bank?

Yep, a lot of them were right off the bank. The odd slower sections were pretty stacked up with fish too.

-Mike