Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackleback

Farm Pond

For Father's Day me and Dad fished a lake his boss owns. Up until five years ago this was a Christmas tree farm. Ever since they replaced the trees with wheat I've noticed the fishing has went way downhill. There's still plenty of fish but lunkers are few and far between these days. I'd say the 14 pounder I caught in high school will stay my record for this lake. Almost everyone allowed to fish the lake goes for catfish so bass are pretty gullible since almost no one tries to catch them. Also, I'm reasonably sure I'm the only person to ever fly fish here. Catching them here is pretty straight forward. You either fish the weed bed in the one end and lose a few flies or fish the deeper corner which is full of sunken Christmas trees and lose tons of flies. Recent rain rose the lake up putting a good foot of water between the surface and cover. I fished the weedy corner mostly with a deer hair diver. The trick was twitching it under and letting it sit and wait for a bass to fly out of the weeds after it. I'd catch one about every third cast, only a couple of them were decent size. The catfishing did't go as well for Dad but we did get enough for dinner.

post-21899-0-43813900-1308592183_thumb.jpg

Me and a decent bass.

post-21899-0-27716600-1308592193_thumb.jpg

Dad

post-21899-0-41009800-1308592200_thumb.jpg

Dad waiting on a catfish to bite

post-21899-0-79882700-1308592213_thumb.jpg

Time to leave

-Mike

Good deal Mike. For my Fathers Day my son got on my softball team and played his first game with me and the rest of the team. It was special for me because in the past I was either coaching him or watching.

Kevin

Thats sweet, my uncle got me a guided fishing trip for graduation, so for fathers day my uncle and I got my dad a guided fishing trip to match mine. So the last week in July is gonna be our fishing trip together.