Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What do you do with your fish?

I let a lot of fish go, but this is one of my favorite things to do with them when I do keep them.

I put'em on the barbie. A rainbow and a char.

20190628_175159-XL.jpg

20190628_175536-L.jpg

20190628_180356-XL.jpg

20190628_180702-XL.jpg

Mmm, where's the tarter sauce.

I also like to smoke'm. What do you do with yours?

Other than salmon or core fish I release them back, in fact I can probably count on my fingers how many wild trout I have kept in the past 15 years. But I do like my salmon smoked either warm or cold doesn't matter

Every day on the water I ask my anglers if they want to keep a few fish or just catch and release... Whatever they decide... is just fine with me. I carefully clean, cut and package any fish we keep - no extra charge...

Florida is really protective of our fisheries so I dont have slightest problem with my anglers keeping fish. As a guide Im not allowed to keep a fish when I have a charter aboard...

Many years ago I held a commercial hook and line ticket so Ive been on both sides of fishing.

As with almost all my decisions ... Wife's input is the determining factor.

She doesn't like the taste of Large Mouth Bass ... I don't keep any.

She doesn't like the taste of Catfish ... I don't keep any.

She loves the taste of the Sunfish I catch ... any species ... so I keep enough to have a "mess" in the freezer. When it's gone, I keep some more.

She loves the taste of Crappie ... same deal and Sunfish.

I release 95% of the fish I catch but I will keep a few panfish such as crappie, bluegill, red ear, fish that can procreate in large numbers.

It's the only thing that I allow myself to eat that is deep fried. Yummy

Btw, that on the grill above looks delicious.

I will eat perch and crappie caught through the ice. Other then that I C&R all freshwater fare. Now saltwater I very much enjoy flounder, cod, striped bass and sea bass. My favorite fish are tuna, sword fish and halibut but I've never fished for them.

All of my fish gets fried on a well used and seasoned iron skillet with minimal oil. So much tastier than deep fried in a big pot or pan. Usually cooked either with some everglades seasoning and lemon pepper in coarse ground cornmeal.. or a pre-seasoned zatarans or Louisiana fish fry mix. I need to try to smoke or grill some someday, but with a household of 5 that LOVE fish, Im afraid to mess up.

All legal crappie and snook go directly to the fridge or freezer. Thats usually what I have.

On the rare occasion that I make it to the salt, mahi, snapper, redfish, grouper, trout, and flounder come home too.

Bluegill, and other panfish go to with my parents, or to some people in the community who will always take it.. even a few.

My wife refuses to eat anything not filleted. And filleting bluegill is a pain. If only she knew the taste of a panfish fried with skin and tasty fins.

Bass and catfish almost always get released, unless the freezer is empty.

post-59266-0-51027100-1581565710_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-83123000-1581565826_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-08981200-1581566174_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-19566300-1581566187_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-12825500-1581566398_thumb.jpeg

Cant believe this. Youse guys talking about grotesque view of dead fish. Shame shame.....

Fried with hush puppies and cole slaw. Usually bunches of Gulf swimps to go along.

13-EBF39-C-A2-D8-4-DF5-98-B1-0251-E023-A

C482-EB07-D747-401-E-9284-C37-AEEF66942.

Misipi

I keep one mess of bluegills a year, if any. They're gutted, headed, scaled, cornmeal-breaded and pan-fried in the cast iron skillet, with another skillet of fried potatoes with onions alongside, and cornbread in the oven. Sweet tea or an ice cold beer to drink. Not fancy, but hard to beat. :)

Can't remember the last time I kept a fish. Don't get me wrong I love a good fish dinner it's one of my favs, but I just don't care to keep and kill any fish. Just my own personal choice.

I only keep a fish (trout only) under certain circumstances: if I damaged the fish in some way and it won't survive, when camping, or when I know I'll be visiting my Dad soon after, as he loves trout. So maybe 3-4 times per year, and I fish several times/week in the warm months.

And I never keep any pan-fish or Bass. Last year I was fishing for the first time with my new brother in law, who's from Pennsylvania. I pulled in a slab of a Crappie and he nearly had a heart attack when I threw her back. LOL.