Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Workbench Lighting

This may or may not be 'news' to any of you.

Found while shopping in Staples: folding, pedestal-style fluorescent work light with 13 watt "full spectrum" bulb included, made by Tensor, under $20.00. This item compares favorably to the more expensive, $59.99 Ott-Lite, with several manufacturing differences that don't seem to matter - to me, at least - in terms of obtaining this 'lighting' scheme that presents as close to natural light as possible.

I checked the differences: remember, I said they wouldn't bother Me! - base is fixed as opposed to a slightly rotating (pivoting L to R over about 30 degree arc). I didn't notice any movement in the lamp head other than open/close on horizontal axis, from right-angle at point when light comes on to fully extended at 180 degrees.

Bulb is a bi-pin, snap in base, consistent with "Ott-Lite" brand name bulb, indicates 6800 K (Kelvin) heat or some ridiculously close number to that. 110V cord.

I remotely recall someone mentioning seeing or buying their work light at JoAnn's, so I guess this is the same idea, but it doesn't hurt to report it.

i use a light similar to what you are describing on my bench. i got it from walmarts or meijers a couple of years ago for around 10 or 15 bucks. it is a flourescent bulb and gives off really good light. i cant tie without it now

I'm not well versed in how to copy pictures and such, more specifically pertaining to this lamp. I just looked at the Tensor website, www.tensorlamp.com for info on their product. For anyone who's more inclined to want something by brand name, the mentioned light is on "sale" or 'clearance' for 34.99 in the Tensor website.

Just seeing the side by side comparison of normal lighting vs "Spectrum Lighting" is amazing. I never thought being as young as I am I would need any type of lighting besides a normal desk light but I am convinced. I'm sure it will help with photographing flies as well!

The lighting system I use is an old drafting table adjustable lamp. It did hardly cost anything considering I found it at a Garage Sale. wink.gif I just simply move the light to where I need it at the time.

As a matter of fact, my entire Fly Tying Bench is made up of odds and ends that I assembled quite well for my needs through Garage Sales. I may have a total of $6 wrapped up in the entire thing, without the vise and tools of course. wink.gif

Dave....very good tip...I just installed a bar light in my tying bench...it has halogen directional lenses and is great for my less than stellar vision....working light is a very important thing when you are at the bench!!1

Dfix,

I picked up one of those folding lights from Staples last weekend (less then 20 bucks). What a difference! The light quality from the full spectrum bulbs is excellent. I like the fact that I can move the light around to position it where I want it when I'm tying. Much better then the "clamp-on" gooseneck lamp with 60 watt bulb that I was using.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom

Every once in a while I learn something , I have been have some problems with my Photo's of flies and one of them has been lighting . I use a xeon light for my bench which also sold for less than $20 at Wally World .It is great to tie under but the lighting in my pix suck. I think I'll give the spectrum lighting a try. Thanks for the Idea.

Tube blink.gif

Not to belabor this thread, but I just had a mental flashback to beginning tieing, courtesy of Bear Coat and MIMI!.

In grade school, I did homework and such under a fluorescent desk lamp, the kind that hummed and flickered; the kind that could drive someone absolutely insane with its lousy light and incessant buzzing- along with two small incandescent units either side of it. I'm sure we've all tried to make the very best of what we've had to work with. This set-up only gave me headaches. Yet, I managed to get my homework done, headache included, or make what I needed to fish with. I remember it being far easier to tie in sunlight.

I'm very happy someone figured out how to capture spectrum lighting and shrink it to desk size.

Sign in to follow this