Fly Tying

Homemade Tube Fly Vise

Well, I sold off my old renzetti hoping to buy an HMH tube vise awhile ago (the actual pedestal vise, not the adapter). Well, when it rains it pours with me, and had to use the money for bills, etc. So had an idea on how to build a cheap one to get me by. Works pretty damned good actually. Will be ackward if you're tying long saltwater tubes, but would be managable.

What I did was ask for some dead drills. I disassembled them just to get the chuck (which are usually on a ball bearing shaft). Then, took a 1x1 for the verticle post and a 2x4 for the base. Drilled the hole in the verticle post just enough that the chuck would fit in tight by slowly twisting in. I bought some mandrals (cheap ones that is, only like $1 for them) to keep from crushing the smaller tubes. But works great, and a simple cheap fix for those not wanting to spend alot of money for one. Plus, keeps the tubes tight with no worry about bending a mandral.

user posted image

Don't laugh, works good. Had other plans to machine a base. But not into doing that much work for now. Serves it's purpose. I'll be buying the HMH soon. Only have about $3 invested in this. Used scraps from around the house, and easy to find free dead drills.

hhhmmm, I see you got some pink rabbit strips in the backgroud...I'm surprised rolleyes.gif

I love the setup, that is awesome headbang.gif

Yeah Will, and if you look just behind the post of the vise, you'll see some pink marabou. biggrin.gif

Jerry for some reason i have a johnny Cash song in my head "I got it one piece at a time, and it dint cost me a dime...you'll know its me when i cruise through your town" laugh.gif

I gotta hand it to ya mna thats a prime example of a tyer using his head to come up with something that he needs!

And better yet...it's "Bunny built" instead of elf made. wink.gif

SD

Well, don't want to go into details on what happened, but literally all my extra money has went into my family and restocking tying materials. So when my money went out the door for my HMH vise, I was a bit bummed. Especially since I someone had just bought my renzettie tube vise. Which, sucked with the small diameter tubes. I spent most of my time holding the tube to tie. At that point, I could tie in hand. Then it dawned on me looking closer to my HMH book, that it was simply a chuck. Hard to find dead small chucks (like a dremel), but knew it would be easy to get dead drills. Had the lumber scraps laying in my garage for "shimming". This isn't what I had in mind for the final project, but figured this will get me by until I get my HMH.

Yeah, guess it takes the bunnymaster to create tying tools. Elves just make toys for kids, bunnies bring the goodies for the adults. biggrin.gif

Thanks for that Post Steeldrifter. I recently bought a tube-vise adaptor, but the idea of an adjustable chuck I really like. I was thinking about rigging something like yours but I have a dead dremmel, with several sizes of collets. I'm going to try and rig up the dremmel chuck on the dremmel flexible extension and figure out how to pin that to my vise. My vise came with the table clamp, but a few years ago I bought a nice marble base on the internet that had a piece in the middle to securely hold the vise stem. This will be a fun project for this afternoon.

Thanks again for the great ideas,

Graham