Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

casting distance 5wt v 8wt

IMO all things can never be equal between a 5wt and an 8wt, but, in a completely academic exercise, I would say that if you can adjust your cast to the differences, both should cast the same.

In other words, it is not the rod.

Nicely said Bimini,

I have a buddy that can easily cast into his backing no matter what weight of fly rod he uses. A pleasure to watch. I can't

Doesn't the weight of the fly make a big difference? So would a larger fly cast about the same distance on an 8 wt as a lighter fly on a 5 wt?

I also agree with Bimini15. The two can't be equal, but in similar conditions, with the same size fly, one that is appropriate for the 5 wt, the primary difference in casting distance will be the person doing the casting. I don't have a 5 wt, but do have a 4 wt & can cast it as far as I can cast my 10 wt depending on the fly size on each. The heavier weight rods cast a heavier line, and will be better suited to heavier, or bulkier more wind resistant flies, plus the additional mass is better suited to more windy conditions than the lighter weight rods would be suited.

Of course there's also the "fish size" factor, but as far as just casting goes, that's not a feature that's important.

Doesn't the weight of the fly make a big difference? So would a larger fly cast about the same distance on an 8 wt as a lighter fly on a 5 wt?

Yes, the correct manner to choose a rod weight is based primarily on the fly size you wish to cast, then other factors. How far each might be cast is still dependent on the person doing the casting. Potentially, a larger size fly could be cast as far on the heavier rod as a lighter fly on the lighter rod, but that's why each weight rod is chosen, to fit the fly size. All rods/weights have limitations, but there's a range too for the fly sizes they'll cast effectively. I've cast flies tied on 2/0 size hooks with my 6 wt, but that size fly is better cast with an 8 wt or heavier. On the 6 wt, distance is limited with that fly size, but casting it is not impossible. With a heavier weight rod, distance is greatly improved, again provided the person doing the casting has the skills to cast that size fly sufficient distance. No matter what, it's still going to boil down to the person doing the casting.

Conversely, a size 16 fly can easily be cast with either a 5 or 8 wt rod, yet for the purpose, neither will necessarily cast that size fly any farther than the other. The 5 wt rod would be a better choice overall, based on other factors that may be considered when fishing with a fly that size.

Rod weights & all the other gear that goes with fishing the rod you choose all has to work together as a unit. Rod, reel, line, leader, tippet & fly should all fit together. If you're going to be fishing size 16 dry flies for trout on a small stream, you wouldn't likely want to choose an 8 wt because you can cast it further. Just as choosing a 5 wt for casting 2/0 size flies for Striped Bass is less than desirable. You could fish with either, but not the best choices for the purpose. Choose the tool based on the job.

A guy would be in an interesting dilemma if he caught a 35 or 40 lb striper with a 5 wt.

But otherwise I agree with Bim as well. I've seen guys cast a 4 wt well into the backing on a good day. But the "good day" is a critical element in itself.

I agree Dave G. and am always thankful for those good days! I wouldn't want to try any fish that big on a 5 wt., but we can't always predict what's going to grab our fly!

I've landed a few Stripers up to 30" on a 6 wt, but not my first choice when choosing a rod for targeting them.

I've seen Lefty Kreh cast the entire fly line with only the upper section of a 2 piece rod, and he does so with very little effort, but very few of us are Lefty Kreh when it comes to casting.

There can be many factors that need to be considered for casting purposes. My first fly rod was a fiberglass 8 wt, and I had no instruction other than what I had read. In those days there was no internet or Youtube, and no fly shops in my area. That rod & reel outfit came with a level 8 wt line which didn't help me much. I learned by trial & error, and much more error than I like to admit, but I learned. I also stubbornly tried to fish too many times with that outfit even when it wasn't appropriate for the conditions or situation. That too taught me things I may not have learned had I only stuck to the "good days"! It took a lot of years to fully understand fly casting, and even now there's a lot I don't know about casting, so I'm still learning. I've been fortunate over the years to have made the acquaintance of some excellent fly casters & gotten tips & help, and was surprised I learned a few things on my own that were the correct way.

I do know however that choosing a fly rod for any purpose is no different than choosing an appropriate bait caster, spinning gear or even trolling gear. One size does not fit all, and what we may have available to choose is most often a compromise at best, so we learn to make due. Fortunately, I've been able to add rods in various weights to my inventory, and can better choose for what I'm intending. Of course, we all know about the best laid plans and things change all too quickly. That's why I was fishing a 2/0 size fly with my 6 weight. I made due with what I had, but wasn't what I would have chosen if I had known ahead of time.

If trying to choose a one size fits all weight rod, that's really impossible, but we all do it. That first 8 wt rod was the only one I had for a long time, so I made the most of it. The 6 wt the same thing, and I did things with it I probably shouldn't have, but I was fishing and not sitting around wishing I had a different outfit.

There are many posts on forums like this about choosing rods, and really no one can choose for another person. As far as what weight anyone should choose, the intended purpose, the fish they target & the places they're going to use it the most, need to be considered, and again no matter what they decide on, one size does not fit all & it's going to be a compromise.

If you are talking a 9' 5wt vs a 9' 8wt, then yes, you will be able to cast the 8wt further with less effort, assuming you have reasonably good technique.

For most of us, 75' to 85' is about the limit of what we can do with a 5wt, but world champion Steve Rajeff casts about 120' (I'm thinking his record is 122' but I couldn't find it.) For an 8wt., that distance goes up significantly. The whole line, 90', and into the backing, is quite doable, and for someone like Steve, well, his world record distance cast is 243', but that was with a shooting head.

All this begs the question, though. Why are you asking? As others have pointed out, you choose the rod to use based on the size of the lures you are throwing, and the size of the fish you anticipate catching. A 7" trout is no fun on an 8wt, and a 35" silver salmon may over tax your 5wt.

I agree Dave G. and am always thankful for those good days! I wouldn't want to try any fish that big on a 5 wt., but we can't always predict what's going to grab our fly!

I was casting a 7' medium fast action St Croix fresh water spinning rig to schoolie stripers with a small kastmaster and a keeper took it, probably about 30" ( it was on the edge so I put him back). I could feel every tug and wiggle but I got him to the boat eventually. I think I actually would have preferred to have the extra couple of feet of flex of my 5 wt. I had a pretty tired wrist when I got him in. We were in current too, so I was trying to handle the boat at the same time and not land on the rock shoal that was right down current below us.

I caught a 32" 10lb Atlantic salmon with a rig a step lighter than that but it was in calm water, big difference but the salmon was air born. Probably the best catch of my life if it had been on a fly rod. Still a good catch because the reel was fairly light and I worked the drag constantly and he almost spooled me off twice. I was trout fishing, the Atlantic took a 1/6th oz Thomas Colorado spoon !

If you are talking a 9' 5wt vs a 9' 8wt, then yes, you will be able to cast the 8wt further with less effort, assuming you have reasonably good technique.

For most of us, 75' to 85' is about the limit of what we can do with a 5wt, but world champion Steve Rajeff casts about 120' (I'm thinking his record is 122' but I couldn't find it.) For an 8wt., that distance goes up significantly. The whole line, 90', and into the backing, is quite doable, and for someone like Steve, well, his world record distance cast is 243', but that was with a shooting head.

All this begs the question, though. Why are you asking? As others have pointed out, you choose the rod to use based on the size of the lures you are throwing, and the size of the fish you anticipate catching. A 7" trout is no fun on an 8wt, and a 35" silver salmon may over tax your 5wt.

Why do I ask ,well I got startled this morning. My new mail order 8 wt arrived last night. This morning I did what I usually do with my 5 wt ,practicing around the house, got the body of the line up in the air then went to shoot 15' or so, that went zinging out thru the guides and then it asked the drag for more. I never felt the 5 wt tug like that.

Why do I ask ,well I got startled this morning. My new mail order 8 wt arrived last night. This morning I did what I usually do with my 5 wt ,practicing around the house, got the body of the line up in the air then went to shoot 15' or so, that went zinging out thru the guides and then it asked the drag for more. I never felt the 5 wt tug like that.

Ya it's heavier line and a stronger rod, it's gonna load and act different from a 5 wt. I think you will find everything settles down as you get more line out and on the water. An 8 wt is not a close in finesse rod like a small stream rod is ! You can probably see why it can toss larger and more air draggy flies out to 60 ft or more.

Put 8 weight line on 5 weight rod, and you'll feel it "tug" like that. But the rod wouldn't work well with that heavy a line.

It's not the rod that's zinging out through the guides, it's the line. An 8 weight rod can handle the 8 weight line, and the line is the weight you're throwing.

In other words, you get more distance throwing heavier line, and using a rod that can impart appropriate energy to that line.