Fly Tying

7 or 8 weight should take good care of you, I use my 9'10 4 wt for a lot of my bass, but I prefer my 10ft 8 wt Steve built for me if that's all I am chasing or I'm going to be throwing big Flys. I like a shooting head line on it like the Titan taper and if I need a sinking tip I can add a versa leader and the rod and line both handle it extremely well.

I've got one 8 weight rod. Bought it because it was on "sale" and would be built especially for me. I like it for throwing larger flies.

But a 5 weight will bring in almost any bass you catch.

On my 8 weight, I am using a 14 pound test leader straight to the fly. I use that line, and that rod when I am going for bass, specifically around heavy vegetation. This is the only place where I think I'd need the heavy line and rod, to get those fish out of the cover.

I have caught some pretty, large bass on a 5 weight, and on a 4 weight, and brought them to the net just fine.

I'm glad you asked that question Steve. I was wondering the same thing and if my 5wt would handle bass fishing too or maybe a 7 wt.

My original bass rod was a 7wt, but over the years I have ended up fishing a 5wt almost exclusively.

If I am taking two rods, I will bring along a 6wt as well.

The only issues I ever had with a 5wt were when my tippet was really too light for the situation.

But keep in mind, I do not throw really big flies.

smallmouths in rivers and lakes? or their trashy, lowlife cousins in muck and heavy weeds?

In my opinion after 30-some-plus years of fly fishing for smallmouths in Pennsylvania streams and rivers, and all over the east to New Brunswick to the Great Lakes, I'm 100% satisfied with a 7 weight. In odd circumstances with great big flies, overline it with an 8 weight line.

After fishing in the armpit of the south as well as places like Lake Mead in Nevada and some shallow lakes in the east, in order to haul the dead weight, no-fight largemouths out of heavy mucky weeds or around stumps and logs you might do better with an 8 or 9 weight.

Amen!

As a kid I fished Northern MI lakes with lots of drowned timber on the bottom. The bigger bass would hit flies readily but do a quick wraparound on you IF you could not turn their heads and haul them into open water.

Later I fished Back Bay on the VA/NC border which was a huge wading pond filled with miilfoil, lily pads, water snakes, and football-shaped LM bass.

Those conditions absolutely require 8-10 wts.and stout leaders.

But I have also taken loads of LM and SM bass on 5wts under more conducive conditions.

Rocco

... trashy, lowlife cousins in muck and heavy weeds?

... dead weight, no-fight ...

As a former Coastie ... I believe you're quite familiar with both of those.

And, No, Marines aren't either of them.

Just to be clear, Steven ... my comment was aimed at JSzymczyk, not you.

No offense intended to you. (Nor him, but he knows that already)

I have an 8wt that I use for everything bigger then trout in wide open windy places. The question is what type flies are you going to be casting not what species your targeting. I've caught LM on a 5wt but it would not be my first choice unless I was fishing stunted 1.5 lb loaded pond bass. Somewhere between 6 and 8 wt would be my preference depending on where and what I'm fishing.

Just to be clear, Steven ... my comment was aimed at JSzymczyk, not you.

No offense intended to you. (Nor him, but he knows that already)

well dead weight, yeah we did take a couple groups of "scientists" down to some island off the coast of Haiti once. They had about a million dollars worth of brand new camping gear from Cabela's and REI, all of it still in the packages, never opened and tested. We dropped them off for their "research expedition" and an hour later they called on the radio asking if we could bring them some gas for their generator....

trashy cousins now, that's a whole other story ... the best ones DO have large mouths...