Fly Tying

I am looking for a recipe for a very old trout fly called the "Troutgetter". None of my books have it and my internet search hasn't produced any results. I have attached a picture of the fly.

If any one can provide a Troutgetter fly recipe, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi Ron good morning, I was just curious are you from Pennsylvania? Thank you,

From NEPA. I'm pretty sure the fly was developed originally for use on the Yellow Breeches.

If I knew the materials used in the fly, I wouldn't be asking for the recipe which includes the materials used.

From what I've been able to find in my library,it seems to have spawned the tellico nymph.Looking for an old timer fly nowadays is pretty difficult with all this new crap floating around

Found a fly called Craig's Troutgetter, and yes it's similar to a tellico. Looks like yellow chenille body, ribbed with peacock herl, a few peacock herl fibers pulled over the back of the fly as a shell, and brown hackle to finish it off.

Yes, someone mentioned the Tellico nymph as being similar. What I plan to do today is use the Tellico nymph as a starting point and modify as needed to end up with a fly that mimics the Troutgetter. Thanks, Ron

troutgettersm.jpg

hook: your favorite style

thread: red, brown

shellback: peacock herl

ribbing: peacock herl

body: yellow dubbing/chenille

hackle: brown hen, partridge, grouse etc

from the troutgetter website

The Troutgetter Fly pattern returns us to a different time. It clearly comes from the time when fly patterns were in transition from the gaudy quilled wing wet flies of yesteryear to the more subdued realistic nymph patterns of today. It was a time of classic masterpiece bamboo rods and the production models that have become modern classics.

It takes us back to the era when this was a gentleman’s sport of respect and stream etiquette. It is not clear when it was originated -- or by whom. It does not matter. It is a pattern of timeless appeal and functionality.

Aptly named because of its fish-catching ability, the Troutgetter has fished with us through a lifetime. It has provided us, and our fishing companions, with many pleasurable days on the stream. We at TroutGetter Flies are dedicated to the effort of providing you, our clients and customers, with much of the same pleasure and satisfaction from the sport.

call 717-737-7469 or email [email protected] for the actual recipe

Nice one flytire! I actually thought it may have been named after a local variant of the tellico. I believe the fly originated in the early 1920's.

Wow! From the Troutgetter web site no less. I searched that web site and didn't find it. Many thanks Flytire, for being my second set of eyes. The 69-year-old pair I have are letting me down more and more.

Ron