Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What are you working on?

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#76 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,664 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

i'm working on a 30 fly set of unnamed hair-wing atlantic salmon flies.

hoping to find some materials at the fly fishing show this weekend

dyed orange badger hackle hard to find

People who get good at something are experts and frown on others who aren't

#77 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

I have a surf caster friend who is also a deer hunter (bucktails & belly hair) ask
if I could tye him up some teasers for striped bass in the surf. E Z peaszy right ?
Well teasers are usually pretty minimalistic and I'm finding it hard laying off putting
more Stuff on the hook. So I tied him a mixed six pack and I'll ask him what his
druther is and tie up a few more.

#78 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:29 PM

Norm, are you going to frame the set, I'd love to see that when it's done. I think I saw some orange died badger in the estate stuff I got, I'd be happy to share with you. I'll check. ( edit, Sorry, no died orange badger hackle (got green and yellow), but I got every color under the sun of the schlapple.) Have a good time at the show.

Otherwise, I'm sure orange badgers are rare and even harder to catch. No wonder you're having a hard time finding some.smile.png

Mogup, I'm doing a little study on belly hair, I collected a few hides, all from the same area and same time of year. I'm seeing a lot of variation in how much white hair is on each animal and how thick it is. Have you noticed the same thing or have you seen enough of them to notice?

Can you show us your flies?

#79 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,664 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

yes orange badgers are very rare in the wild and totally extinct here in connecticut smile.png

People who get good at something are experts and frown on others who aren't

#80 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

I'm working on overcoming my Parkinson's tremor.  I tied a Stimulator today, size 8 I believe.  It was the first fly I've tried in a few months...afraid of failure.  It will fish, but it ain't pretty.

#81 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:31 PM

Gene, I wish you the best my friend. I haven't done any simulators yet but I feel some coming.

#82 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,680 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

yes orange badgers are very rare in the wild and totally extinct here in connecticut smile.png

Orange Badgers ARE very rare.  Rarest of those are the ones that have the feathers you can use for hackle.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#83 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Mark I'm new to the deer hide experience but I was able to look over a dozen
freshly harvested deer this season and I was surprised at the randoness
of quality of the hair on the deer bellies. I had thought that maturity in a deer
would yield a better patch of belly hair but with the dz deer we had that was not the case.
A nice 8 pointer age 5 to 6 yrs old we were expecting some nice hair but that the quality of it's
belly hair was poor. We found much nicer hair on a 2 yr old doe. Wish Chris Helm was around.
A phone call to him would have yielded an hr long conversation on the topic. If someone
has some thoughts I'd love to hear them. These 12 deer were taken in a 2 week period in the same geographic location there abouts. Mark I'll post those teasers when I get the lasr
one tied up.

#84 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

My A list fishing partner is a bow hunting fanatic. He slays around 6 or 7 deer a year in PA and NY. My conclusion is belly hair and bucktail are cheap enough to where preparing it yourself ain't worth the time, effort, mess or expense.

#85 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Poopdeck Lol You're right about that !. A lot of work but did as a one time learning experience. Although the tails were easy and we're going to give dyeing a shot this winter. Even got some old pots from a garage sale for the job. We did get some nice tails !

#86 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

I was going to say, Wisconsin might be the place to look for orange badgers cuz that's the badger state. I think all their badgers are green and gold though.

Mogup, yes, that's my experience too, the big does have the most, more than 5 times the bucks. It' thicker and longer too. I have a doe with three inch hair on the belly, and hair on the butt is over four inches long. The buck really only had about 10 sq. inches of good belly hair but the doe has over 100 sq. inches. Both of them had good butt hair.

Poopdeck, My quest started when you posted a while back about the irregularity of the 10 packages you bought. I was thinking, if a guy had the opportunity to select the deer belly hair he wanted before it got to the feather and fur salesmen he could save himself having to buy a bunch of so so stuff. I got enough from one good doe to last me a lifetime, unless I really go to town spinning deer hair. It didn't cost me anything but a few minutes washing, fleshing and drying the hair. I did have to promise to take the guy on a fishing trip, shucks.

My buddy went to a butcher in Wisconsin and asked if he could get some skins. The guy said, "Take all ya want" so he did and sent them to me with a bunch of tails. Now that I know what to look for, if I ever need more I will just ask for the doe skins.

#87 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

"Whitman teaser sampler"

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#88 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:39 PM

Gene L, sorry to hear, hope you can keep at it
cb27

#89 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:54 AM

Mogup, Nice, I know what you mean about trying to keep it simple. I think he will say, "Yes, more please"

#90 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

Thanks Mark.