Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Woodinfliezz

Florida Trip fly

Should work, and there really isn't any reason you can't tie it with deer hair for the front. Crabs are a good winter fly for reds.

post-41832-0-50027100-1391054595_thumb.jpgpost-41832-0-48610500-1391054606_thumb.jpgpost-41832-0-91614500-1391054617_thumb.jpgpost-41832-0-62328700-1391054629_thumb.jpgpost-41832-0-35015500-1391054643_thumb.jpgpost-41832-0-76095000-1391054654_thumb.jpg

My first attempts at spinning deer hair, if thats what you want to call it. im not sure that is the method i used... its not actual deer belly hair its the back side of a buck tail towards the bottom tip where they cut if off. i found that this hair is really stiff so why not try it :) over all im pretty happy with how it turned out, any advice as always is greatly appreciated.

i think i might throw in some rubber legs tomorrow, its tied on a size 4. i might need to get some more size 4's to support this new habit i just discovered. i like tying this fly is what im trying to say :)

I would suggest trimming the front bunches of hair more flat on the top and bottom. Go for a flat wedge shape like an arrow head.

When tying in the first bunch, hold the tips as you start the third wrap (which should be your first tightening wrap. You want all the hair tips between the hank and the hook point. They act sort of like a weed guard. Clip the fly close and flat along the top edge of the shank (this pattern should ride upside down,) keep it just about even with the lead eyes.

I have used the hair at the base of a bucktail as well and it worked just fine. I just needs to be hollow. You could also used craft hair or EP in a dubbing loop to form the head and even the longer hair towards the bend. If you use the synthetic you will probably find that you will be able to scale back the eye weight to beadchain and It will be a little easier to cast as well. I really like deer hair but I prefer it in surface flies. Just a thought

I have used the hair at the base of a bucktail as well and it worked just fine. I just needs to be hollow. You could also used craft hair or EP in a dubbing loop to form the head and even the longer hair towards the bend. If you use the synthetic you will probably find that you will be able to scale back the eye weight to beadchain and It will be a little easier to cast as well. I really like deer hair but I prefer it in surface flies. Just a thought

Ray brings up a good point, it's good to limit the weight…better quitter presentation and easier to cast. You might also want to look at Kwan style flies.

I would suggest trimming the front bunches of hair more flat on the top and bottom. Go for a flat wedge shape like an arrow head.

When tying in the first bunch, hold the tips as you start the third wrap (which should be your first tightening wrap. You want all the hair tips between the hank and the hook point. They act sort of like a weed guard. Clip the fly close and flat along the top edge of the shank (this pattern should ride upside down,) keep it just about even with the lead eyes.

Good advice, a flat wedge head mimics the natural shape. When I do use deer hair I often leave the lead eyes for last. I know many folk put them on earlier in the process, however, I find it can sometimes be a little easier…Especially when new to spinning deer hair.

I put an EP Crustaceous Brush and some cool claw material in the package to help out with crabs.

Another option for building heads that will sink well is wool. (usually sold in fly shops as ram's wool) You can spin it the same way you do deer hair, and it sinks like a rock.

Thanks for the in put I am glad I have you folks as online mentors, I know everyone talks about buying fake fur at hobby lobby. But when I go it seems you or dave or some undrrcover crossdressers beat me to I. Im starting to think its a conspiracy against me.

Yes, there is indeed a conspiracy against you, and we're all in on it. Which goes to prove the old adage: "just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that people aren't out to get you." Yes, we are ALL out to get you, and get you good!

MUHUHUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT paranoid.......I know the government is out to get me and so are most everybody else.

Yes, be very careful with weight. When I m sight fishing for Redfish, all I cast to are in less than 3' and most are in 18" or so. I always use inverted ties to keep from snagging.

Lighter flies cast easier and land softer, both huge considerations for sight fishing.