Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Presentation case

I plan to give a guy I know a collection of about 18 tied in hand flies from Bosnia in native patterns made with locally available non-commercial materials abut 50 years ago, All on size 10-14 hooks so not a big spread overall . They are definitely not show quality but are representative of the early days of the sport in his native area. As such, I'm sure he will prize them as wall hangers

Does anyone here do such presentation cases or know of a good craftsman in such arts who I might contact? I'm thinking of a case made with rustic wood rather than a high gloss box. The flies need to be mounted firmly to withstand mailing. I would like the original tyer's name afixed.

My own past efforts in this field are execrable.

Thanks for any help.

Rocco

I don't have a shop set up, so I am not able to do true quality work at this time.

You might look through this thread ...

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86855&hl=wood&do=findComment&comment=719278

And see if anyone will work with you on making a case.

It's nothing more then a picture frame. Flytire's link is perfect. If you can mount the flies to the stock any picture framer can mount it. Be warned though picture framers are expensive. Fortunately framing something is exceptionally easy if you know how and flytire's link takes the mystery away. You can go to a frame shop to get the frame rather then making the frame yourself.

If it were me I'd simply go to E-Bay (or Amazon) and enter a search for "shadowbox" and see what comes up... You might find something that exactly meets your needs without having to re-invent the wheel or shell out a bunch of money to have something custom made... A quick check over on E-Bay (a primary source for my guiding business when I'm not going direct to a manufacturer....) only showed 8560 items under "shadowbox" - the first and only page I glanced at showed several that would certainly be suitable...

Good luck - post up what you finally come up with. Some of the shops I've tied for over the years have done up shadowbox samples of the flies they offer (usually specific ones like for tarpon, snook, or bonefish) so I'm familiar with them...

lay the flies in a riker box, wrap it with a bow and hand it to your friend

Y7EnGRt.jpg

s-l500.jpg

JORDAN_PAPER_BOX_CO_SE_RM14X21_RIKER_MOU

get your creative juices flowing and make up some simple labels

SE9hqlX.jpg

Beyond 99% of us I am sure. But if anyone ever wants to go all out on creating fly plates and have the where-with-all to acquire the necessary mat cutting and other equipment, the most elaborate fly plates I have seen were created by Mr. Steve Jensen. He produced an in depth seven part series on his methods available from the FFI in their Tying Times Newsletter. The final installment appeared in the October, 2017 issue(image from the final issue below). The flies are not attached to the back mat but glued to a clear acrylic(I think) post. The FFI Museum in Livingston, Montana has a number of such plates and a lot of other historic fly fishing memorabilia.

post-11380-0-61454600-1535025095_thumb.png

Not sure what's been posted but Hobby lobby has shadow boxes 1/2 price every other week. I got this that has hinges and clasp and lite mesh that I put couple sheets of foam behind so when closed nothing moves(stamps,old licenses). And can opened, closed any time rather than box frame deal. $20

IMG_4282.jpg

Michael's also offers shadow boxes, on sale, at regular intervals. More than adequate for what you are looking for.

Something I neglected to mention... Whenever one of my anglers makes an outstanding catch I encourage them to use one of the photos I take and to add the fly or lure used underneath it in a small shadowbox instead of a visit to the taxidermist... Take the fly (with or without the leader still attached), rinse it off thoroughly since we fish in salt or brackish waters mostly... then allow it to dry. Once the fly is completely dry, steam it to bring back all the materials - then allow it to dry again. When all of that is completed I encourage them to lightly dust any exposed steel on the fly with a bit of cornstarch to prevent the usual corrosion that occurs over the years on any steel used around the salt...

Done properly you can have a long lasting trophy of a memorable catch that was carefully released after the fight... Shadow boxes are relatively inexpensive and can be mounted on a wall or simply stored away as you choose.

Bob,

I like that idea. You have a trophy with out cost of a mount.

But if you insist on a mount you can have a replica made. Just get measurements of the length and girth along with few good pictures.

If I were to hang a box of flies on my wall it would have to be of superb quality. If I were paying homage to something it would be of superb quality. if I were giving something to somebody it would have to be of the same quality as if I were hanging it in my house. The hobby lobby type shadow boxes look like crap and wouldn't even hang in my garage.

I like your idea and wish I could help. I think it's a great idea and it shouldn't be half-assed. Seems it best if you find a good local picture framer.

Have you had issues with Hobby Lobby, Poopdeck?

Looking at the site, Hobby Lobby lists 49 shadow boxes ... and most of them look like wall hanging quality.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Frames-Photo-Albums/Shadow-Boxes-Display-Cases/c/3-113-1082?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxaa9qZuI3QIVgZ6zCh2baQSIEAAYASAAEgKFjvD_BwE

For anyone with big fish trophy dreams (and these days we're only talking replicas - at least for me since I used to send a bunch of fish to local taxidermists years ago when we killed everything in sight....) you might want to give them a call in advance and find out what a six or seven foot tarpon mount actually costs (whoo boy....). Then after you get over the cost - find out what shipping will cost for an additional wake up call.

I used to make the majority of my income as a mate on charterboats from mount commissions and doubt they've gone down in price... I'm very glad that I'm not doing that any more (and haven't, even once, since I went full-time as a guide 22 years ago...). The charter scene has certainly changed a bunch since I got my first job on a boat back in the early seventies down here in paradise (south Florida).