Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

Homemade C-clamp for vise?

Has anyone out there made (modified) their own C-clamp for their vise?

I use a Thompson Model A and the clamp limits where I can use it.

I'd like to be able to clamp on surfaces in the 2 -3" thickness range.

I know there are clamps I can buy but I can't justify their price, $40 and up.

Has any made their own or used some sort of clamp that was intended originally for another use?

Pictures?

Thank you

Richard

I just bought a Model A recently, & cannot use the C-clamp because it puts the vise way too close to me. After wracking my brain to come up with an alternative clamping method, looks like I'll have to settle with a Table stand instead.

Alan :o

I made a pedestal mount for my "A" about 40 years ago and still use it. Used a 4"x3/8"ID brass pipe nipple threaded into an iron pipe flange mount and tapped a #12 thumb screw into the pipe to secure the vise stem. Mounted the works on a piece of hard maple. This allows me to use the "A" vise literally anywhere.post-62131-0-99176900-1544559195_thumb.jpg

make one to fit the thickness of your table

bend a piece of metal, drill a few holes, add a bolt or two and bob's your uncle!

I1NbjFe.jpg

Seems like a very simple endeavor if you have a few tools. Im guessing your not a tool guy so it would probably be easier to buy something. I would take tjm's approach but weld a pipe on a bigger c clamp or simply make a bigger clamp.

If your top is made of wood. Are you able to notch out of the bottom. The thickness you like, And about 4" wide X 2" deep. That way you have some play to move it. Or just cut it to fit.

I made a vise with an old pair of Vise Grip pliers about 25 years ago. The C clamp is a small welders C clamp, and I welded a couple of old lug nuts to it for the stem. The lug nuts are 3/8" inside, and I had to drill them a bit so the 3/8" stem would slide. Also drilled a hole & welded another nut for a bolt to adjust height on the other side of the clamp.

It's darn ugly, but holds anything I've put in it. I tie most flies on my Regal, but still use this home made vise for tying some large bucktail jigs & parachute jigs for trolling. The biggest I make is 20 oz and has a 12/0 hook in it. No problem holding them!

It helps if you can weld & have your own welder. smile.png

post-17678-0-64348600-1544587603_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-29073600-1544587613_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-19177200-1544587622_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-35398400-1544587634_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-29798300-1544587641_thumb.jpg

post-17678-0-30975500-1544587648_thumb.jpg

So, I chose to use a base and save the damage to the tables, but if clamp is the only way to go, the vise came with a clamp that fits nicely on inch thick boards; I'd get a drafting board or same sized plywood to use as a tying station, I did this for a while. Lay this on the table and clamp to it - or get any 1x2-1x4 or such 6" long or more and any large clamp, use the large clamp to hold the board to the table and clamp the vise to the board. Could even nail/screw/glue the 1x4 to the table in over hanging position-no worse than cutting/carving the top to fit the clamp and would be suitable for a dedicated desk or picnic table. I have clamped a 1x4 to a picnic table with vise-grip welder's clamp.

For an easy homemade clamp the picture flytire posted could use multiple nuts (inner & outer) to hold and adjust the bolts, so that welding nor tapping would not be necessary.

I made a movable stand by drilling a stem-width hole in a fat chunk of brass, then a 1/4" inch (tad less actually) hole at right angles to the stem hole, which I threaded with a 1/4 - 20 tap. The hardware store had a 1/4 - 20 bolt with a plastic knob. It doesn't have to be brass. I like a movable platform more better than a clamp.

up-vise.jpg

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your suggestions!!

I started to go in Flytire's direction. I found several components online and was planning a trip to home depot to buy the rest.

Then Tidewaterfly posted the picture of the C-clamp with the welded nuts. Right now I'm going to try that. A friend will weld a block of some yet to be determined shape of steel to a 3" clamp and I will tap a hole in the side for a set screw or bolt.

A little back ground on my under construction bench.

It will be in the Adirondack rustic style. A friend gave me a live edge slab, 2-1/8" thick which will be the bench top. I plan on using my Thompson A vice that I have tied on since 1970/71. I'm hesitant to cut a groove in the slab because that won't allow for any lateral movement of the vise. I don't want to go the pedestal route because the vise would be too high and I don't want to cut down the shaft of my vise either. So the clamp and welded block meets all my requirements for now.

Again, Thank you all for your replies.

Richard

I have a base made out of corian counter top material. A base doesn't have to be heavy. Just large enough to be stable. And you would be surprised how small that may appear.

Rstaight. Your right, I made a base for my old Thompson out of a thick plastic block. Its light, but very stable. I do like the mobility of a base at times. I have two vices I keep, My rotary is a clamp and I have the base. Each one has different qualities.