Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ron1697

Looking For Advice

I've been working on a wax worm imitation for a couple of nights now. Pictured is my most recent version. (Size 10 scud hook, small brass bead I had (7/64" maybe...), rubber bands, copper wire, Tan UT 140). I know they are rough, just looking for some criticism on how to make them better. Thanks in advance.

post-63390-0-29888800-1532439532_thumb.jpg

I make mine with "rat tail". Holds up better than rubber bands for me.

Ask at he craft tore for it. Like the 1 mm size best.

Rick

Rubber bands will deteriorate over time.

I have seen these made out of latex gloves and condoms. Easier to explain latex gloves to the wife.

But looking good so far. Don't know if counter wrapping the rib would help.

They look great. And the rubber bands get you a thicker, flatter profile on your segments than other solutions. Try em and see, they'll last long enough (far longer than peacock or ostrich, certainly longer than a quill body, and those are all legitimate for tying so why not rubber...). Other ideas for alternate materials... 99c store has latex balloons in natural/tan color, thicker than gloves, not as thick as rubber bands, not as amusing as condoms. If you're spending... Competitive angler carries the troutline gut for $4 a pack (enough for a couple dozen flies), which are translucent which is nice... you could also try a slice from an old chamois cloth (or other soft leather) or competitive angler also carries something troutline calls Caddis skin for $4.50 which is a piece of leather, which would have a better texture than rubber bands.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I am going to try a wider and flatter rubber band. It might make it look a little more neat.

rubber bands WILL dry out, crack and fall apart.

they can also unwind leaving you with a strand of rubber band attached to the hook

get some nymph skin

3909.Jpg

or scud back

Scud%20Back%20_WL.jpg?itok=xw_UHM0b

buckskin nymphs

buckskin%2B600.JPG

craft lace

SWLA0342R16cob.jpg

flytire, Wouldn't a coating of Sally Hanson's keep it all together though? Reason being, I am trying to tie with what is cheap and readily available in my area.

just try the sally hansen on one of the flies YOU already created and see what happens

experiment

ive tried to give you multiple options of materials

based on my experience rubber bands (i tied with them in the 1980's) last just so long and then pfftt

flytire. I appreciate the list of materials! I will definitely try them if I am unhappy with the results of the Sally Hanson over the rubber bands.

Those look pretty good. I think a lot of folks forget, because we see them sipping insects, that trout have teeth. That said, I've made them using pieces of silicone spinner bait skirts. A light coat of UV resin makes them durable.

Any plastic/rubber material will get "dry rot" and weaken. If you're fishing them within, say, a month of tying them, rubber bands will last just fine. if you're tying them to fill a box that will then be full for two years (for example), then rubber bands won't last.

The only suggestion for "making them better" ... and I don't know that this WILL make them better ... take a sharpie or other permanent marker, run it up and down the body, then immediately wipe it off. Done right, this will leave a small amount of color right at the seam between wraps to really bring out the segmentation.

Maybe paint the heads black on a couple.

I'd fish them just as they are.