Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Scored alpaca roving

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

Went to a Fiber Fair with my wife yesterday.   Lots of materials that tyers could use.

Wanted to get two light colors of brown that I did not have.

When they started to weight it I said that I could use a short piece that they tossed on the table.

Lay told me that it would be hard to spin.  T told her maybe on a spinning wheel, but not

on a fishing hook.   They then asked if all the weight could be in short piece and I said yes.

It was $3.50 for an ounce of each color. They said they wanted to get rid of the short pieces so I

ended up with almost 2 ounces of each color.  Then the said the charge was $5.00 and a coupe of flies

for a neighbor.

Rick

#2 rscconrad

rscconrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

Nice. I have scored quite a few fibers that way. Angelina was my firsts find at my wife’s fiber store. Lots of other good stuff they call synthetic fibers. One of them is very similar to ep fibers

#3 jacktjl

jacktjl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Nice score Rick.  It pays to keep your eyes open.  Sometimes an opportunity presents itself unexpectedly.

Tim

Tim AKA Jacktjl

for those who like vintage items of all types
http://www.etsy.com/...Day?ref=si_shop