Fly Tying
Sacred Fly

Sacred Fly - Community Fly Patterns

Hey All,

I've been working on a personal project for the last half year. It's been part my passion for fly tying and other part wanting to do something for the fly tying community. It's completely free. All hosting, AWS, etc services are paid out of my pocket (we can geek out on the tech stack if you'd like).

I'd like to hear what you all think and most importantly hear what suggestions you have!

As of this posting the only patterns on the site are ones that I've created. That said, I just returned from a bonefishing trip so if you want to get a sense for what patterns look like click the dropdown (select "Species") and search for "bonefish". There are also some instructional videos on how to search and add/edit patterns on the FAQ page.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sacred Fly - Fly Tying Patterns

Cheers,

Brad

Looks like a good start to a website, Sacred.

Are you going to offer secondary drop down menus? I.E. click on species, then a secondary drop down with different species you have patterns for?

That's a good enhancement request! I'll figure out something on how to add similar functionality to the next release. The MAIN purpose of the site is to have fly tiers like yourself and the rest of the community add their patterns as they create them so it becomes a community driven resource of patterns.

To your point in particular I think replacing the welcome text with statistics on how many different patterns for each species would be a great idea (with links directly to those search results).

As of right now (since only some of my patters on on there) the only species that respond to results are "Bonefish" and "Trout" (various species).

Cheers,

Brad

Looks great so far.

You mentioned the MAIN purpose of the site. What other purposes do you have in mind? What’s the vision for the project?

Thanks Mike West!

@Bimini15 - That's really the only purpose. Wanted to keep it pretty simple and have it a fly tier driven community of fly patterns with direction and vision inputs from the community on new features or changes.

Definitely free! Thanks for registering. Excited for everyone to start adding patterns. Please please please let me know if you find bugs and or have feature/enhancement requests.

You did ask what I thought... Sacredfly does sound pretentious, even to an agnostic. English as a second language people may have a problem with the term?

Your logo is over-dressed. Again, only my opinion and I know diddly squat about personal projects.

Agree to a certain extent with WJG. Also, the 'net is already littered with defunct fly libraries. Not sure what distinguishes your site from anywhere else, and very unclear what the motivation is to add patterns to your site.