Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Streamside

Newest vise

This is my newest vise the, Morsetto Orion 3, Lazerri's newest bent knee rotary.

As far as machining and quality goes, it doesn't get any better. The Lazzeri Orion3 made in Italy is one classy looking little vise with loads of eye appeal, machined of stainless steel and a non tarnishing mat finish brass alloy with a mat black base. The Lazzeri Orion is so........ smooth, so well engineered, and so user / hand friendly it is like comparing a Ferrari to a farm tractor when comparing it to other rotary vises.

Full review will be posted later this week after I have had a little more tying time on it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sweet looking vise!!!!!!!!!! Where did you hear about it??? Cost???? The rest we'll wait to hear about after you've played with it.

Fatman

Spreken zie Deutsch? Jawel natuurlijk!

{Do you speak German?} { Yes Naturally}

I was just lucky that I speak a few different languages . I got mine for a steal on ebay Germany

171.00 EUR

Euro = 216.652 USD

United States Dollars

1 EUR = 1.26697 USD 1 USD = 0.789285 EUR

At the Lazzeri shop online or any of his dealers it retails for 322.00 Eur.+ 99.00 shipping freight You might find it cheaper elsewhere.

Live mid-market rates as of 2006.09.29 21:18:28 UTC.

322.00 EUR

Euro = 408.030 USD

United States Dollars

1 EUR = 1.26717 USD 1 USD = 0.789158 EUR

And Streamside how do you like your "new" vice? And what other rotary vices do you use before

Olaf

Hello Olaf Sorry for the delay. I've been steelheading. I like the Orion very much Olaf. I've tied quite a few doz flies on it already. Really there is not one bad thing I can say about it . I've have used a lot of different rotary vices. Hammerhead, Dyna King, Renzetti, Law, Thompson,

Right now for vices I have Lazzeri Orion, Regal statioary, Renzetti Traveler, Thompson Vision, Thompson SLT, a few Thompson A's and two Pamola Fly Lathes one clamp one pedestal.

I'll post my report on Orion tonight.

Lazzeri Orion 3 rotary vise

Features

Not much larger than the Renzetti Traveler in size

IPB Image

Flawless machining, made of stainless steel and brass.

Flat black mat finish base with hook pockets

IPB Image

Beautiful embossed Lazzeri logo on top of brass head stock and pewter style logo on the base.

IPB Image

Large well spaced strait knurled knobs for easy adjustment. The small adjustment ring tightens against a crowned spring washer recessed into the larger adjustment ring for a fine easy adjustment that doesn't move.

IPB Image

Spindle turned rotary handle helps finger not to slip off the end well turning.

IPB Image

Two sets of Timkin needle bearings for super smooth operation.

IPB Image

Fullly adjustable/ removable head.

IPB Image

Heavy duty case hardened cam locks against another crowned spring washer for a bulldog grip with minimum wear.

IPB Image

Comes with two sets of jaws. Small # 32 - #12 Magnum pocketed jaw # 12 # 4/0

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hook alligning tool. You use this to allign the rotation axis of your first hook, then remove it.

Once set every corosponding hook of the same size is perfectly alligned.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Whenever I go somewhere on a fishing vacation, I always take my Renzetti Traveler. I have many other high quality vices to choose from, but I'm so comfortable and familiar to tying with it. We all have that one piece of equipment we won't part with, mine is my traveler. I've had mine since they first came out. Lately the Renzetti is getting pretty old and junky looking so I bought a new travel vise. After looking at just about every bent knee rotary vise on the market, and reading all kinds of reviews, I finally decided on the Morsetto Orion 3, Lazerri's newest bent knee rotary. I'm glad I did because it is one beautiful little vise. At home, I don't generally tie on a bent knee rotary. I find because of my own unique style of tying I am much better suited to an inline rotary / stationary vise. Although I chose the Orion as my travel vise, it would make anyone a beautiful presentation vise or every day vise . The thing I like most about it is it's size. It is not much bigger than the Renzetti traveler and with the exception of the unique head / jaws, it is just about as simple.

I thoroughly enjoyed my break in period with my new Orion 3 . It is extremely smooth to operate , easy to adjust and it took very little getting used to. I was totally comfortable with it in a matter of a few short minutes after I started tying. As steelie season is in, I started with a few egg sucking leaches, wooly worms, streamers and wigglers. I did not have a bobbin hanger with it, so used the old one off my traveler which worked fine. Rotary tying went very well. The vise worked flawless. I have never had any problem aligning hooks for rotary tying, and at first I thought the hook alignment tool was a bit of a gimmick, but when I started using it in conjunction with the pocketed magnum jaw, It worked extremely well and fast when I was changing hook sizes and hook types. The large hook pocket worked excellent for big streamer hooks limericks all sizes and styles of salmon hooks. I even used the small hook pocket to tie up some # 6 - 8 Moe's Sperm Eggs, that I had snelled on leads earlier and it worked great. I did however spray coat the inside of the jaw pockets with rubber guard so as not to damage my salmon hooks. I then went on to try the smaller non pocketed jaw on some small buggers and streamers and drys for next seasons trout. I found the three hook dishes in the base very useful for smaller sizes. I usually tie five flies in three different sizes of each pattern I put in my chest box, so that worked out perfect. Coincidently it's the only vise I own that has hook dishes in the base and I like them very much. {No stray hooks. } The base is also nice and heavy making the Orion very stable.

Overall I did not find any faults with the Lazzeri Orion. It's pretty simple and that I like. There is not a whole lot of unnecessary adjustments on it to come loose all the time. As far as machining and quality goes, it doesn't get any better. The Lazzeri Orion3 made in Italy is one classy looking little vise with loads of eye appeal, machined of stainless steel and a non tarnishing mat finish brass alloy with a mat black base. The Lazzeri Orion is so........ smooth, so well engineered, and so user / hand friendly it is like comparing a Ferrari to a farm tractor when comparing it to other bent knee rotary vises.The entire vise can be taken down and maintenance with one Allen key in a matter of seconds and switches easily from left to right hand. Although I am not a big fan of bent knee rotaries, and it will never replace my inline rotary Pamolas I am very happy with the Orion and it's going to make a great little travel vise.

Streamside you are absolute right. Here in Europe they say it is the best Vise you can buy. There are a lot of people how like it actually match more then the Renzettis and they use it as there main vise. It is to bad that most tier don't even know this vise specially outside Europe.

Olaf