Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
3wt

Hackle Guard

Cut the tip off the little finger of your wife's rubber kitchen glove, the tip should look like a little rubber cup. Make a small hole in the center and push it over your bobbin tube. Leave it on the bobbin all the time and when you want to hold some hackle back out of the way slide the guard off the bobbin and along the thread over the hook eye and invert the guard. When your done slide the guard back on to the bobbin and continue. The guard will always stay immobile on the bobbin tube when your not using it. wink.gif

That's Cool!

I've seen a similar technique done with a piece of drinking straw, left on the bobbin in the same manner.

The drinking straw idea is one that I have used in the past. I have a set of 3 hackle guards but were too small for some flies I had tied. I cut the straw and slit one side to slip over the bobbin end and push over the hackle. Squeeze it down and slip it over the hackle. Works great! headbang.gif

The little rubber 'finger tips' from the office supply store which are often used for counting money etc. are also good for this when clipped as above, and they are more durable. wink.gif

Sign in to follow this