Fly Tying

a tying material storage solution?

I was reading an article on faol about vaccuum pcking tying materials. I think he was writing the article with tongue firmly planted in cheeck but it got me thinking.

My wife and I got a food saver for christmas. The past couple of weekends I have been tying late into the morning hours. When I am done I usually like to put my materials away so that no bugs or anything get into them. Instead of putting the stuff away I have been putting the materials for the different flies into food saver bags, and sucking all the air out and sealing them. For instance one night I put my squirrel skin, dubbing , rubber legs , and flashabou in a bag ( i was tying red fox squirrel nymphs). The next night it was black hen hackle, flashabou, red schlappen, dubbing, I was tying red tail black gnats.

Well after reading his article I thought I may be on to something here. IF i was to take a bag and put my materials that I do not use on a regular basis, such as bucktails, or hares masks, the fur I bought from Carl, raccoon skins etc, I could throw in a chunk of no pest strip, or a cedar block, vacuum seal the contents and store the materials more efficiently. My only concern would be, do you think that crushing the items would harm them? Like I would be leary of maybe doing this to my deer hair or hackle because I would be afraid of the items taking a set from being compressed. But for stuff like embroidery thread, or bucktails, what do you think? Anybody ever done this? Opinions please?

John

I think it might be a good way to store stuff long term that isn't too affected by the potential crushing. I've played around doing the same thing with mine a little bit, but have only tried it on a couple of items. so far everything is fine.

Mark Delaney

I think it would be a really good idea when travelling. Especially for the guys that travel to shows regularly. It would cut down on space and pretect your materials when they are more vulnerable.

Oh and i think the guy that wrote the article was serious about it. I am involved in one of his monthly swaps and he is pretty creative in that way.

I've stored material in food saver bags for years with no ill affects. My food saver has a manual seal feature so with delicate material I use the manual seal feature before all the air is sucked out and the auto sealing is used. Also, on natural materials, I'll place a small piece of a flea collar inside and then seal it, so far no bugs. You can also make the bags longer than you need so when you cut them to use the material, after you finish you can reseal the same bag. Our machine has sealed a lot more feathers and fur than food. Like was mentioned in one of the post, they're also great for compressing bulky item for packing, a real space saver.

Rando