Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Uses for different hooks

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thank you, SC. It is much as I suspected. I have read your post on selectivity, it too is an excellent post. Collectively your posts on the various BB would make a nice book, imo.

My thoughts run, that the eye of a "normal" dry fly is held off the water by the hackle and that it holds a bit of the tippet off/above the water also, so that the tippet hangs at an angle before becoming submerged and if that is so the up-eye would suspend more tippet higher above the water than a straight eye and the straight eye would suspend more tippet than a down eye. Of course if the fly is constructed to ride in the 'film" rather than on it this would be less apparent. I think the nearer to the hook the tippet enters the water the less noticeable the entry point would be.

I don't know that the fish even notice these things when keyed in on a fly until they have been caught many times but I do think they become conditioned or "trained" in areas of C&R.

In fish that are not often exposed to leaders and flies, it should not matter- if the theory of conditioning is the reason for refusals.

#17 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult