Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly tying vise recommendations

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

here is what the o-ring does on a renzetti 

i would assume a spring would approximate the same affect

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

#17 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

Thanks Flytire, I have only used a Thompson and knock off Thompsons and I would say that the entire jaws of that type vise are springs. When the cam is up the jaw springs open. I've wondered how the two part jaws operated that helps explain it. The Terra vise must have the spring concealed inside?

I found a video of the Regal that looks like it springs closed and that the spring is all that holds the hook?

#18 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

There is not an actual spring or O ring in the regal but rather spring tension in the metal. I assume the terra knockoff is the same.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=phnGANTSZNM

#19 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:34 AM

The mid tier Regal knockoff that Chug Bug first posted a link to is a quality vise.  I have used them for many years with my tying classes and have had no issues whatsoever.  Can't say that for any of the other mid-lower tier vises.  I have had nothing but issues with those.  

You could also keep an eye out for a used Regal for under a $100.  Can't go wrong there either.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#20 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

It sounds like you have your heart set on a particular vise. When you are new to tying flies, the cost of a high end vise might sound like a lot - but in the long run, the cost of the vise is a drop in the bucket compared to your investment in hooks and materials. My suggestion is to save up and get the vise you really want. If at all possible, try tying on different vises (at fly shops or fly shows) before making up your mind.

#21 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

This shop shows a really good price for a Regal Inex.  Same (standard) jaws as the Medallion, and the jaws do rotate, though the stem is at a fixed angle.  You can always buy the adjustable stem should you decide you want that feature at a later date.  Disclaimer: I've never done any business with this shop.

https://north40flysh...-fly-tying-vise

Attached File  inex.JPG   18.29KB   0 downloads

Some people use the knock-off "Crown" vises for years without complaint.

#22 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

I have used a Regal imposter since 1992 and it's annoyingly reliable.  I have wanted a rotary vise since they came out but I just can't see tossing or giving away my old one.  All sizes of hooks and it still works perfectly.

#23 Edward Snowden

Edward Snowden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

If money is a serious issue (and it certainly can be), look into buying a good used vise.  You will just get a whole lot more bang for your buck.  And like the advice above, get the vise you really want, even if that means waiting a little longer.  Otherwise you will find reasons not to use it.  In the meantime, go out and get a pair of small vise grips to hold the hook, and use any full size vise to hold it all.

#24 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:42 PM

If money is a serious issue (and it certainly can be), look into buying a good used vise.  You will just get a whole lot more bang for your buck.  And like the advice above, get the vise you really want, even if that means waiting a little longer. 

+1-   Unless a vise has been abused a quality used vise is a great option.  I tied for the past 8 years on a Renzetti Traveler and other than the finish wear at the point the bobbin rest rotated on the stem it looked like the day I bought it.

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#25 mrbamboo

mrbamboo

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

I use a Thompson Model A that was given to me back in the 70's, and I purchased a universal base for it from Cabella's in 2010.

I looked up the Thompson in ebay ant it is going for around $11

https://www.ebay.com...e-/223362322802

#26 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:53 PM

I use a Thompson Model A that was given to me back in the 70's, and I purchased a universal base for it from Cabella's in 2010.

I looked up the Thompson in ebay ant it is going for around $11

https://www.ebay.com...e-/223362322802

Over the Holidays, I picked up an original Model A with an extra "midge" jaw, a Sunrise Master with 3 extra jaws, two clamp on "streamside" style vises, & an original Thompson bobbin on Craigslist for a $20 spot.

Bought a pedestal for the Model A @ Sportsmen's Warehouse, & it now sits on my desk nicely and works very well.

Attached File  IMG_20190127_120345.jpg   81.23KB   0 downloads

#27 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Great end to the holidays.