Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Steelhead streamer hook shank length

3 replies to this topic

#1 Lt Jangle

Lt Jangle

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

Hey guys, Im tying up some eggs and streamers to throw to some Great Lakes steelhead in the next couple of days. Ive been tying smaller silver shiner type patterns but have been using shorter shank hooks (owner mosquito). Is this ideal, or should I be using something with a longer shank? I see some flies are longer shanked or have an trailer hook near the tail. Thank you very much!

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:49 PM

I don't know sh ... eggs from Shinola.

But ... welcome to the site, Lt.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

I tie most steamers for steelhead on standard up-eyed salmon hooks.  But mainly for the hook strength.  Steelhead rarely nibble at steamers so I see no need of a tail hook and beyond that don't like the extra fumbling in unhooking a fish and the risk of deep hooking one with fatal results.  Short shank strong hooks should work OK but then you will not have much of a body for contrasting/complementary materials.

Rocco

#4 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

Maybe consider tube flies. You still get to use a short shanked hook that is harder for fish to toss than long but it puts the hook at the back of the fly. Flies tend to last longer because when a fish takes one the fly itself tends to slide up the line leaving the fish and hook together, which is a good thing when tying fancy or more complicated patterns. And you can tie Modern steelhead patterns or classic patterns on tubes as well as you can on a long shanked hook. I have changed to tying my green and also my grey ghosts on tubes for instance...

I can't speak for egg patterns, never used one.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

Reply to this topic